Remember the Kraft processed cheese singles commercials that showed the cute, happy children who were eating grilled cheese sandwich and how we envied their happiness. We were so easily brainwashed that we begged our parents to buy the processed cheese singles so we could enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches just as much as those thrilled children from the commercials. As we got older we may have begun to explore other cheeses such as American, Cheddar, and Muenster to add a new flavor element to the childhood favorite of the grilled cheese sandwich. Sometimes the grilled cheese and tomato soup meal becomes monotonous because we simply are in a food rut. But there is an alternative to this meal that still endeavors that cheesy goodness of a grilled cheese sandwich where the cheese is delightfully melted, gooey, and strung in our mouths. The month of April marks as grilled cheese month. As you have seen from my previous posts, I write about extremely unique recipes that are not usually created but are intriguing to make with variously new techniques and to taste with a variety of flavor concepts. I wanted to share a sophisticated version of grilled cheese that *fits as a great snack or dessert which is the Raspberry and Chocolate with Almonds Grilled Cheese. The cheese is paired with almond studded chocolate candy bars and fresh, sweet raspberries for a modernized twist on an American classic. It is easy to make as any other grilled cheese is and it is delicious because it offers a new definition to grilled cheese sandwiches to not only be savory but sweet as well. I simply ask that readers have an open mind to try this interesting recipe as it is very satisfying.
- 4 slices angel food cake (from a loaf)
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 4 slices havarti cheese
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1.45-ounce bar HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate with Almonds
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- Zest of 1 orange
- Spread ½ tablespoon of butter on one side of each slice of the angel food cake and turn the unbuttered side up, laying the buttered side down on a cutting board or piece of parchment.
- Layer each of the 4 slices of angel food cake with 1 slice of the havarti, then set 2 of the havarti topped slices aside. Spread half of the mascarpone on top of the other 2 slices and sprinkle with the sugar. Top these with a generous pinch of the orange zest then roughly break the pieces of the HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Bar with Almonds into chunks and divide among the 2 slices of cake with the mascarpone and zest. Top each slice with a few berries.
- Drizzle the oil into a non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Place the four sandwich slices in the pan buttered side down. Cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bread is golden and the cheese and chocolate has melted.
- Transfer to a plate and top the chocolate, cheese and berry sides of the sandwich with the slices of cake with just the melted cheese. Enjoy hot.
The Angel Food cake can be substituted for challah bread,sweetened brioche, or pound cake. Also, many other fruits can be used such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and even sliced stone fruit.
Recipe adapted via FoodieCrush