Never Forget

“Names etched on the head of a pin, one name spanning a bridge, another undergoing a tunnel. A blue name needled into the skin. Names of citizens, workers, mothers, and fathers, the bright-eyed daughter, the quick son. Alphabet of names in a green field. Names in the small tracks of birds. Names lifted from a hat Or balanced on
the tip of the tongue. Names wheeled into the dim warehouse
of memory. So many names, there is barely room on the walls of the heart.” -Bill Collins

September 11th, 2001 do you remember where you were on this tragic day? I was back in my home country. I had just came out from school and turned on the television as I got in( a natural habit) when I saw the attack on the news. I stood there in disbelieve wondering if I was dreaming. Still in disbelieve, I managed to call my mom to inform her of what has happened. It wasn’t until the next day we were able to contact friends and family to make sure they were alright. Thankfully they were. To this day I am still baffled by what happened 14 years ago. However I believe this has only made the people stronger, united and more appreciated of life. Never forget……

To mark 9/11 anniversary, every year a Tribute in Light is been lit near the site of the World Trade Center. 88 searchlights, 44 for each tower. These lights can be seen from over 60 miles away. Seeing and photographing these lights was sad but such an amazing experience.

a city building at night with a beam of blue light coming out of the top  “No day shall erase you from the memory of time.”  South Cove Park Manhattan, NY 8:30pm

lit city buildings at night “Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honour those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unit that followed 9/11.”  Battery Pl Manhattan, NY 9:00pm

-President Obama

a hand reaching toward rays of blue light “Nothing you gibe is lost to you or anyone, but cherished and preserved in Heaven.”  Battery Park Garage Manhattan, NY 10:51pm

a hand holding a smartphone “Some gave a lot, others gave it all.”  Battery Park Garage Manhattan, NY 11:15pm

beams of blue light “There are two ways of exerting one’s strength: One is pushing down, the other is pulling up.”  Battery Park Garage Manhattan, NY 11:37pm

-Booker T. Washington

beams of blue light“What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is our ability to mourn people we’ve never met.”  Battery Park Garage Manhattan, NY 11:41pm

-David Levithan

3 thoughts on “Never Forget

1. not only will i never forget 9/11 and the impact it had on my middle school and the children getting called home. and us being evacuated from my french class, and my step uncle never returning… but i will also never forget your images. as always you are amazing

2. Pingback: This Week in the OpenLab: September 15th Edition | The Open Road