Dear Mama

Rap Lyrics and The Face of Tupac Shakur

Yesterday was the holiday where we celebrate the women in our lives that gave us life, took care of us, and raised us. So today, I want to write a letter to my mother to say thank you for everything my mother has done for me.

Mom,

Tupac Shakur orchestrated a classic song “Dear Mama” that is a homage to the love that he has for his mother. When I listen to this song the lyrics that resonate deeply with me is simply “I love you. I love you. You are appreciated.” These words may be simple, but to me they are the perfect bars over a lovely melody that express just how I feel about you. You have always been a mother to me, and regardless of the situation you have always had my back. As a child you kept me busy while my friends were out running the streets during the summer. You made sure that during my time out of school I had absolutely no idle time. I went to dance classes, art classes, photography classes, SAT classes and whatever else you knew I would benefit from. As a child I struggled with understanding why you would not let me just be free and hang out, but now I get it. By keeping me busy, you kept me out of trouble and gave me a chance to experience the world in a positive way. I may not have understood all the decisions you made in the past, but I do know that you had, and still have good intentions for me. So, I just want to say thank you for everything you have done for me, the sacrifices you have made for me, and the love you continue to give to me.

In closing I want to say:

“And there’s no way I can pay you back. But my plan is to show you that I understand. You are appreciated”

-Tupac Shakur

Love, Cherishe Cumma