ENG 3771 Blog

Blog #1
What is “performance based hiring?” Performance based hiring is a type of hiring process that professionals now use to find the top talent. Not every company uses this process, but the ones that have seems to overcome the problems that other companies come across that don’t use this process, according to Alder. I believe the performance based hiring process is the most efficient process and should definitely be used in every company because it seems to be fairer to candidates.

Other companies tend to hire their employees due to emotion, first impression, and being bias. They may be in denial about admitting so, it most of the time, that is what the reason is, and they would sometimes fail to even come across or give a “good” candidate a chance. They would sometimes hire the candidates that are partially competent of the job and are just interested in the pay, but who aren’t truly passionate or motivated to fully do the job. The “performance based hiring” process is designed to prevent this from happening. The job should mean more to them than a salary; it should be their career move.

The “performance based hiring” process contains four main parts usually. First, the candidate will need to have performance based profiles which describes their on-the-job success. This is replacing the boring, job descriptions listings skills, duties, and responsibilities. Then the interviewer will need to conduct a full work- history review and ask two questions that will determine the competency and motivation for all the information listed in their performance based profiles. Then the interviewer will now need to gather all their evidence from the two questions to determine the quality of hire. Then, if there are good candidates, they would see that those candidates have multiple offers and opportunities.

Using this hiring process in my career development will be a plus for me I would say. Reading this book by Alder will help me prepare for my interview, of know how to prepare myself, and how to answer certain questions. I want my interviewer to see that the pay for my career isn’t what I am interested in, but the job itself is what I am interested in. I was once interested in the Architectural field as my career choice because of the money. Then I thought to myself, is this what I really want? Is the money really worth it? My unhappiness of possibly hating my job and getting paid for it? And I came to a conclusion that it wasn’t and I should look into something that makes me happy. Not so much for the pay, but for what I enjoy and can see myself doing for the rest of my life; like being a teacher. Being an elementary school teacher will make me satisfied for all the benefits it offers, and the job itself. I already have some experience of the work and I truly enjoy it. My interviewer will see my competency through my performance based profile which I will create. This process will give me a chance to show what I really am about, and not just based on my first impression.

The opportunity I will get during my interview with reading this book is to give my interviewer my Year 1 instead of just my Day 1. I will show my interest by asking more about the job, rather than what will be my job title and salary. I will ask what the work actually consists of me, who I will work with, and what I will actually be doing. I will show interest of what the job asks of me to compare other opportunities I may have at the time. This too will show how much I want the job, along with my performance based profile.

Blog # 2

The “Achiever Personae” is one who thrives in success; one who is highly motivated, competent, a team player, talented with skills, thinking, and one who strives. An Achiever Personae is one who follows the hiring formula for success as well as the achiever’s pattern. The traits in the hiring formula are: Talent, Management, Team Skills aka Emotional Intelligence or EQ, Thinking Skills, Motivation, Job Fit, Managerial Fit, and Cultural Fit.

The Talent trait means the ability to do the work. The competence as well as their ability to learn. The Management trait means time management; the ability to get the work done on time, appropriately and dependably. Team Skills and or Emotional Intelligence trait is how the person works with others. How they manage feelings and make sure it is expressed professionally and appropriately. The Thinking Skills trait is the person’s ability to comprehend and solve job-related difficulties. Motivation trait is the motivation to do the work that is required. This is very important for job success. The Job Fit trait involves determining the person’s interest and motivation in doing the actual job; not their competence, but their interest. Managerial Fit trait refers to the significance of working within the hiring manager’s style, the available resources, assignment, and the decision- making process. You can learn a lot about the candidate from this trait. Then the Cultural Fit trait relates to the person engaging with the company’s setting, pace, intensity, and its standards and operation.

The Hiring Formula for Success leads into the Achiever’s Pattern. According to Lou Alder, the Achiever’s Pattern consists of:
1) Track record of consistent upward progress.
2) Formal recognition for doing exceptional work.
3) Assigned to bigger projects or special roles earlier than expected.
4) Rapid promotions, special rewards, or unusual bonuses.
5) Working on cross-functional teams, with company executives or those outside the company on critical issues.
6) Being involved in the big decisions that wouldn’t have normally be assigned to someone at the person’s level.

Your work history matters as well as your promotions. Being promoted constantly shows great potential and consistency. It shows how successful and motivated you are. Do I have an Achiever’s Personae? I would say I’m heading in the direction. There are a few traits I need to work on. So far I have the Talent trait, the Motivation trait, the Job Fit trait, and Team Skills trait. I will have to work on my Time Management trait. I am almost there, but need some work on it to be successful. I will also need a lot of work on my Managerial Fit and Cultural Fit trait to be considered the perfect “Achiever’s Personae.”