Week 2 Assignments

• Week 2 Assignments
  • RWA DUE by BEFORE OUR CLASS SESSION MEETS on Tuesday, Feb. 10
  •  GROUP ASSIGNMENTS
  • GA2Please read through the posts on our Bb discussion board and post a reply to one of the posts, answering one of the questions posed, reflecting on what you learned in ENG1101, or posing a question to the writer.  (3-4 sentences)

READING JOURNAL ASSIGNMENTS

RJ2: Read over your notes on the readings from last week.  Afterward, please choose one of the following essays to read.  Please DO NOT READ THE ESSAY YET.  You will do that next week:

Nicholas Carr “Is Google Making Us Stupid?”
    Sherry Turkle “Alone Together”
    Gary Marcus “Moral Machines”
    S. Craig Watkins “Mobile Phones, Digital Media, and America’s Learning Divide”
    Jaron Lanier “The Problem in Brief”
    Francis Fukuyama “Our Posthuman Future”

In your journal, first please free write and explain why you selected the essay you did and why you want to read it.  Then, reflecting on the reading we have done on various approaches to reading and keeping reading journals, explain briefly what approach/es to reading and keeping a reading journal you plan to adopt. (1 page)

• READING AND WRITING ASSIGNMENTS

• Reading and Writing Assignment 2: Responding to Readings
  • Professor Rodgers

• Last week, we read a bit about keeping a reading journal.  Now, we are going to respond to and write about some texts as we create an exploratory draft of a short essay on the topic of technologies, our relationships to them, what we have read about their definitions, and questions we have about these definitions.  YOU MUST COMPLETE THIS ASSIGNMENT BY WRITING BY HAND.  Before you begin the assignment, please make sure that you have some time, have your textbook handy, and have your reading journal with you.  After completing a draft of the assignment, you will want to read through the handout “How Do I Write About Texts,” then read over your writing, making sure that every your writing and every sentence in it, although still a draft, makes sense, i.e., “means something,” to you.

Technologies and Me

Paragraph 1: To introduce and briefly describe to your reader your relationship to technology and specific technologies

(Choose a, b, or c as the topic sentence for this paragraph)
a. My relationship to technology is best characterized as ________________ (insert adjective)

b. My relationship to technology is _____________ (insert adjective or analogy)
c. My relationship to technology is analogous to my relationship to ______________ (insert noun)
Paragraph 2:  To explain to your reader the sources informing what you know about technology and specific technologies and your relationships to both
My understanding of technology and its socio-economic and cultural importance is informed primarily by ___________________________ (name and describe the sources that inform what you know about technology).  As a result of this, I tend to view technology as ________________.
Paragraph 3: To describe to your reader what you learned from the readings this week, what stood out for you in them, and what questions you have about them
From the readings for this week, I learned _______________________ (list three to five things that you learned and make sure the list employs parallel structures for each item on the list).  What I found most intriguing about Hughes’ essay was ________________________.  What I found most confusing about Hughes’ essay was _____________________.  In Schatzberg’s essay, I was interested in _____________________ and confused by ________________.  In terms of questions that I have for both authors, I would like to ask Hughes why he _______ (insert present tense verb followed by one or more specific points made by Hughes, i.e., writes _______, argues _______, explains ________, includes ___________ ).  I would like to ask Schatzberg why  _______ (insert present tense verb followed by one or more specific points made by Hughes, i.e., writes _______, argues _______, explains ________, includes ___________ ).