Research Project Presentations

Dear Students,

There are two things that I would like to do during our class session on Thursday:

1/ Have each of you present a three to four minute overview of your research project

2/ Begin drafting the research essay

The two activities are complementary.  However, I’m not certain that we will have time for both during one class session since our class is quite large.  There are 25 students in our course.  Assuming each student presents for three minutes, the presentations will take up the entire class session.  The question then is whether it might be possible to compress each presentation down to two minutes, which would then leave us (in theory if not in fact) with 25 minutes of class time for drafting.

My research is focused around an investigation of ______(name your topic or research question_______________________.

The draft title of my project is ____________(name title of your draft Overview of Sources essay)________________________.

What I Have Learned from my research is ________(list three to four things that you have learned as bullet points)____________.
One draft working thesis statement for my research essay is ______(revise and restate your research question as a statement based on what you have learned from your reading)_____.
This draft working thesis statement is based on ____(in two to three sentences, discuss what you have learned from your sources)_____________________________________.
We will use this as a template for the presentations.  If these end up being more than two minutes each, that is fine, but perhaps by using this template as a model we will be able to have time both for the presentations and for some in-class drafting.
All best,
Prof. Rodgers