You are the technical direction team in charge of the scenery crew at City Tech. The flats shown on the attached drawing (Plates GP, E1, E2, and E3), are to be built for show to take place in the spring of 2019. The show will perform starting on Thursday, March 28th and is the first show of the spring semester.
The scenery will be built, installed and painted by normal Tech Production crew people. The show is a big comedy, and the door will be slammed all the time. The walls should not shake when the door slams.
As a team, you must make a plan for the construction and installation of the scenery for the show. Prepare any documents you think you would need for the implementation of this plan. If you build any samples for this project, please save them to present on the March 28th.
When you are planning the documentation, think of who you will be showing it to. You will need to show it to the faculty for approval and to purchase materials, and you will also need to show it to the crew that is actually going to be doing the work.
Checklist for your reference:
Complete the following items to be shared with the class on Tuesday, February 26th:
- Your team’s definition of the problem
- Sketch of your approach to solving the problem
- A list of any questions your team has
Bring the following to be turned in on Thursday, February 28th:
- A typed proposal detailing the prototype or test piece that your group would like to build
- a revised version of this proposal will be collected on Tuesday, March 5th
Bring the following things to be turned in on Thursday, March 28th:
- All initial sketches and notes
- Complete paperwork package (drawings, budgets, calendar… whatever you think you need to communicate your ideas)
- Any samples or physical tests your team conducted (Each group must make a minimum of one sample or prototype.
- A list of what you learned
Criteria for Success
Your ultimate goal is to achieve a show as close to the designer’s intention as possible. Preparing good construction documents and choosing correct materials will be very important to meeting this goal.