Learning to Teach, Part Two: Books I am Reading

I have been rooting around, trying to find the best books to read as I learn how to teach at the college level. Here is what I have found so far:

Building Expertise: Cognitive Methods for Training and Performance Improvement
This book not only explains fundamental instructional methods, it delves into the reasons those methods work on a neurological basis. Fascinating, easy to read, and easy to implement in the classroom. I can’t recommend this book enough.

Student Engagement Techniques: A Handbook for College Faculty
I have to admit, I have yet to read this one, but it comes highly recommended. It covers a hundred tips and strategies to motivate and engage your students.

Teaching Unprepared Students: Strategies for Promoting Success and Retention in Higher Education
I read this a while ago, but it was hugely helpful. Concise and clear, it gave me ideas on how to reach my less prepared students right away.

Basically, I am looking for ways to get my students excited about the subject material, even the ones with difficulties like limited time, learning disabilities, or lack of study skills. There is a growing body of knowledge out there, it just takes a little digging to find it.

What are some books that you have used?

This entry was posted in Teaching. Bookmark the permalink.