“You’re Beautiful no matter what they say “

Christina Aguilera

The Assignment
We were to choose a quotation and design a Postcard to reflect it. We choose a quotation from a song, poetry, movie, or literary work and created three designs for aesthetically embellishing this quote for an 8.5′′ X 5.50′′ postcard throughout a 6-week period. We created two concepts using typography and one using line art. We also created a third concept that included a photographic picture.

Design Process

I selected the quote “You’re Beautiful no matter what they say ” from the song Beautiful. Christina Aguilera wrote this song. This is my favorite song since I have been listening to it for a long time. “Beautiful” is a song about courage and fear, and about facing your anxieties even when it appears like everyone is dragging you down. This song represents our inner beauty and what distinguishes us as individuals. Before finalizing my three pieces, I worked on some sketches to see in which direction I wanted to go.

I knew I wanted to incorporate a flower or a sun to match with the quote. I also wanted to incorporate with typography but I wasn’t sure to how should I bring everything in one concept. When I was planning on how to manage the typography, it came to my mind that the word beautiful should grab attention in the design. Finally, I wanted to do different concepts, a retro style concept, a typography design, and a text portrait. 

It was never meant to evaluate and integrate the quotations into a cohesive theme. Instead, I studied several other notions to come up with the definition of the term “Beautiful.” Finally, when I worked on the last piece, I tried to come up with a solution for the quotation. I couldn’t locate the meaning to include in the design, but there were so many design concepts that didn’t fit or made sense. Finally, I chose my final ideas and for the last design,  I put a photo of my favorite singer in a text portrait effect. The significance of the song “beautiful” is to love ourselves regardless of others’ opinions, So I decided to place the text in the photo.