ninth, keeping it coming.

I’m finally a little more than halfway done into completing my Internship.

About a month ago, I sent an email to everyone including the CEO, that I would like to take off a week in April because I would be in California for vacation. They never really responded to that, other than Ray telling me to remind him when the time gets nearer. So a week before my flight, I sent the email out again and no reply again. But when I went into the office the next day, they started telling me that they received my email and they were sad that I’m going to be gone for so long because they would no one to go to for design problems. I told them, “My phone, laptop, email, and Skype would always be on standby. If you ever need me or have any questions, send me a message. I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible!” And they responded with, “Ok, thank you! Will do!” I obviously said it to sound nice and professional, but no one want to worry about work during vacation (and plus, I don’t get paid to work outside of the office).

Recently Ray assigned me with an important assignment of creating the packaging labels of our New World Health Brand products. He gave me specs and a template to work with and I was on my way! It took me so long to make and edit all the labels because there were around 50 of them and he gave me a little over 4 hours to complete. The most frustrating part was that every time I completed a few and upload them for Ray to look at, he would come back every 10 minutes with new adjustments. So basically, I started from point one…every 10 minutes, making my deadline nearly impossible. But at the end, I managed to get them all done at exactly 5pm when it was time for me to leave.

I thought that was the end of that, but the next day I went in, he told me to edit more labels and make labels for our new line of products. It just keeps on going because after that, he wants me to take images of bottles and wrap the labels on to the bottles for use on website. This time though, I was smart about it because I knew he was going to keep on coming back with adjustments, so I just made one, sent it to him, and just sat there and waited. Finally Sandy(another one of my “supervisor”), Tony (the CEO), and Ray approved it, so I will be doing that on my next work day.

Sandy (I’m not exactly sure of her position, but she is above Ray and works directly with the CEO) came up to me, praising my work on the packaging image, and also asked me if I can go further into making the bottle rotate. I told her that is kind of beyond my design skills because it requires animation and probably JavaScript, so I just told her, “I’ll look into it and see what I can do.” So she said, “Thanks. But if you really can’t, just do separate images of each bottle with 3 faces. One showing the front, one showing the supplement facts, and one showing the barcode/directions.”

Now that she asked me, I’m actually interested in looking into animating that bottle. It would be a new experience for me and I can take it as an opportunity to learn something new. If I actually figure it out, Ray could even teach me how to place the animation into the website because he told me it would require finding a plug-in and using JavaScript and I thought to myself, “That’s great! Web designing using HTML, CSS3, JavaScript, J Query, etc. is my weakest point and it’s exactly what I’m looking forward to learn!”