BELL ATLANTIC 1

Figure 1: Bell Atlantic Logo

187px-GTE_logo.svg

Figure 2: GTE Logo

Verizon was formed on June 30, 2000, with the merger of Bell Atlantic Corp. (figure 1) and GTE Corp. (figure 2) The Verizon logo, created by Landor Associates, was regarded one of the worst logos ever made (Logopedia). Landor Associates has made contributions in designing many well-known logos, such as BMW (figure 3), BP (figure 4), etc. but the Verizon logo was probably one of their worse ones.

BMW-logo

Figure 3: BMW Logo

1395181644691

Figure 4: BP Logo

verizon_logo-100428509-large

Figure 5: Verizon logo from 2000–2015

The most known logo of Verizon Communications Incorporation (figure 5) consists of a graphically stark and simplistic signs, featuring masculine black and red colors. The red “z” is supposedly a visual trick and roughly appears like an electric spark. The logo also contains a prominent red check in a distinct line weight, which typifies the origin of the company, the Latin word “veritas”, implying certainty and trustworthiness and horizon. It also symbolizes the forward-looking and visionary attitude of the company. The logo contains lowercase sans serif type and a slightly modified form of the Helvetica Black typeface, which has been their logo since their establishment.

verizon_2015_logo_detail

Figure 6: New Verizon logo launched in 2015

Recently on September 2, 2015, Verizon kept its original lowercase sans serif typeface and launched a new logo (figure 6). Michael Bierut, a partner at the well-known Pentagram, designed its new logo. Pentagram has also designed the logo for Citibank (figure 7), 21st Century Fox (figure 8), and much more. “As our customers and our business evolve, so must we. The reveal of our new brand is more than just a new look. It’s a chance to further everyone’s understanding of who Verizon is and where we are going.” (Verizon) Verizon explains that the new look honors their history and reflects and identity that stands for simplicity, honesty, and joy. The checkmark is to represent that they get things done and are reliable.

citi-logo

Figure 7: Citi Logo

21st-Century-Fox-Logo-Blue-Grey

Figure 8: 21st Century Fox

The new Verizon logo in my opinion is literally no difference from its first one. The check mark, which I find useless, is still there and so is the plain lowercase sans serif. I still find the logo really plain and unoriginal, because even my brother who has no sense in design or art says, “Even I can make that on Microsoft’s Paint software in 2 minutes.” I agree with that, and so does most designers on the web too. Jim Brown, a guy with a fine-tuned sense of nuance and proportion, tweeted, “The new Verizon logo may be the worst thing I’ve ever seen.” (Clark)

Sources

“Verizon Logo – Design and History of Verizon Logo.” Logo Design Blog RSS. Web. 21 Sept. 2015.

Ancin, Kim. “Our Look Is Evolving along with Our Customers.” Our Look Is Evolving along with Our Customers. Verizon. Web. 21 Sept. 2015.

“Verizon Communications.” Logopedia. Web. 21 Sept. 2015. <http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Verizon_Communications>.

Clark, Chapin. “Why Brands Should Be Against.” Co.Create. Fast Company, 6 Oct. 2015. Web. 20 Oct. 2015.