41 thoughts on “OL76 (10:00 class): POST ACT III HERE (pdf’s of map layers)”

1. I think all your maps will be useful for your analysis. You need to reduce the size of your buffer zone — the current zone contains too much information for an accurate understanding of the information. The median age layer is not clear (it will be with a legend) and you will need to zoom into the land use map to really understand what’s going on around the theater.

1. You only have two layers, other than the location of the theater itself. The symbology for the education level needs work. It’s not very easy to understand (based on color and shape). Also, you need to zoom way in on the land use map in order to understand the five blocks around the theater itself.

1. Excellent maps. I think the map showing a stark difference in median age on either side of Old Fulton street is really informative (basically the difference between Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO). Some of your maps don’t reveal detailed information or contrast with surrounding neighborhoods, but you’ll choose the best to share during your presentation. Your buffer zone is absolutely the right size.

1. You have shared quite a number of maps, but you need to narrow your selection down to the best 3-4 … the maps that tell you the most about the neighborhood. Some data layers, for instance, don’t really tell you how the neighborhood is unique. I think the median age map is interesting because it shows how the median age really shifts between zones. Most of all, you need to close your buffer zone down to a .5 mile radius. You are trying to analyze an area that is far too large.

1. Your buffer zone is too large, particularly when it comes to land use. Land use right around the theater (5 blocks in any direction) is what you want to look carefully at. Median ages and incomes are tricky. I think they tell you how things shift between neighborhoods, but be careful about drawing too many precise conclusions (many wealthy people could be living in areas where the median income is below 100K, for instance). I think it will be most useful to compare land use with income and age. Pay attention to residential areas vs. commercial. It’s the residential areas that are most relevant to your analysis.

1. Your buffer zone is much too large. Needs to be half that size. You’re encompassing about 10 different Manhattan neighborhoods. I think it will be most useful to compare land use with some of the median figures you have. Pay attention to residential areas vs. commercial. It’s the residential areas that are most relevant to your analysis. I think you can find datasets that will show you more contrast between your direct neighborhood and the surrounding areas.

1. The buffer zone is much too large. Focus in on the area just around your theater (5 blocks in every direction. Although your data might be significant, there’s no way to tell because the colors are not labeled.

1. Nice work. Obviously, the median income layer doesn’t tell you much about the general area other than everyone is rather well paid (although for Manhattan standards anything above 100K could range from middle class to filthy rich). The amenities map will be helpful in your analysis. I think the median age map is very interesting because it shows a stark shift from one particular area to the next. I wonder if the land use map or other layers can help explain this.

1. Nice work. A couple of notes:
          1) What is an “emergency centroid”? I think this could be interesting data — just make sure you explain the data.
          2) The poverty level map is very interesting. Your theater is right on the border of two distinct areas.
          3) The symbology for education level is not legible. Adjust the size of the circles, the colors, or the type.

1. You chose some interesting data sets (income by age, for instance…. although the symbology doesn’t make it clear how to read it). Still, your maps need work. The color scheme isn’t labeled in some, and in others the legend doesn’t seem to match the colors on the map.

1. You chose some interesting data sets. However, the symbology isn’t clear. There are three factors in “income by race and self-employment” — how are these factors expressed on the map? It’s unclear. Your maps need clear legends.

1. You need to zoom in your analysis to an area much smaller around the theater. Your buffer zone encompasses about 10 different Manhattan neighborhoods. I’m not sure what the Poverty level map tells you. This is downtown Manhattan, NYC. I think we can already assume that anybody who lives there is not living in poverty. I think you need to look for some different kinds of data. Take a look at some of the work your colleagues in class are doing.

1. The median age map is probably the most important. It shows the contrast between the area directly around the theater and other neighborhoods. You need to narrow the focus of your buffer zone. It’s too large. Also, take a careful look at the land use map and think about what it tells you exactly.