Harlem Renaissance: NYPL Visit Response (Tues class)

Discuss a primary source (newspaper clipping, playbill, photograph, poster, etc.) from the Schomburg archive that caught your attention during the tour. For the sake of this exercise, do not discuss the film.

1. Describe the archival object in as much detail as you can recall (name, production, location, date, etc.)
  2. Explain how this object relates to the driving force of the Harlem Renaissance; that is, an artistic movement by, for, and about African Americans (while rejecting negative stereotypes and African American identity as seen through the eyes of whites).

7 thoughts on “Harlem Renaissance: NYPL Visit Response (Tues class)

1. Javier Garcia

-Javier Garcia (THE2280 D477 Tuesday Class)

I picked a picture with Harry Belefonte. That name clicked really quickly because of his famous hit song from the movie Beetlejuice called “Day,O!” and “Jump in the Line” which is at the end of the movie. I wanted to download Belefonte songs which I did and got into my CD. Since then I wanted to learn more about him. He was born and raised in Harlem. Harry was an activist and a big representation of the black community. Not only he is big in the world but his song “Limbo” was played in many schools to this day. The artist at this moment is 95 years old and still alive. I am just so proud of his achievement and what he brought to the world. How his limbo song from Harlem not only represented Jazz music but different varieties. The black community was not only known for Jazz in Harlem but for many things like any other human in the universe.

2. ChrisCintronCT

Christopher Cintron (THE2280 D477 Tuesday Class)

1. The poster that caught my eye was the Anna Lucasta poster not only because it was performed in the Manfeild theatre now called the Lena Horne Theatre but because of what it represents and the beautiful design of the poster. It’s a large cardboard poster with a unique black handmade typeface for the main title. A blue, black, and yellow color palette that matches the color of the cardboard itself. The production was first performed at the Library Theatre at 103 west 135th street, Harlem, New York City on June 16, 1944.

2. This poster relates to the Harlem Renaissance because it was a mere part of it, the celebration of an all-black cast was a big deal and this show not only celebrated that but became so popular that it was shown at the Mansfield Theatre on Broadway. It spread the culture of great all-black casted theatre shows! Anna Lucasta shows the richness and creativity of black culture in the best way.

3. Damian Kyle Brathwaite
    1. The one archival object that caught my attention was a poster with the title Mule Bone. It depicts 6 African American cartoon characters each with a unique trait. It was a brightly colored poster and and the bottom of the picture was the credits to all the people involved in the creation and production of the play. Written by Langston Hughes & Zora Neale Hurston, directed by Michael Schultz, and presented at the Lincoln Theater. It also seems to be autographed my the actors in the play.
    2. This poster is directly related to the Harlem renaissance because it was a poster for an African American play, written by and portrayed by African Americans. This was important because at the time black people were just beginning to be able to write and perform in their own plays, and this play also seems to stray away from the usual stereotypes that were previously involved in past minstrelsy productions.
  4. Chhring N Sherpa

Chhring Sherpa, D477

1. The archival object that I chose was the graphic poster of a play called “Mule Bone”. The poster contains a painting of Americans with joyful expression. This poster seems to be an advertisement of the play as it contains the location of theatre that showcases this play in the bottom (i.e. Barrymore Theatre). The writers of the play are Langston Hughes & Zora Neale Hurston. it was directed by Michael Schultz, sponsored by GE foundation.
    2. The production partner seems to be Lincoln Center Theater.

This object relates to the driving force of the Harlem Renaissance since it was a play written during the period of the Harlem Renaissance which represented the culture and tradition of African Americans. The play represents a life of American African that showcases perspective of how an individual from the black community lives. thinks, talks etc. With that being said, this play has the power to gravitate people from non-black community to comprehend African American’s culture and appreciate them for their uniqueness.

5. Xavier Beltran
    1. The item that caught my attention was the journal at the end of the table. It is called the Opportunity A Journal of Negro Life. It was dated April, 1927 and was bassed in 127 East 23rd Street, New York, NY. This item caught my attention because I saw many different types of stories in this journal and as well as ads that they put. Each page had at least like 30-40 ads.
    2. This journal relates to the driving force of the Harlem Renaissance because it was a journal that included stories sent in by African Americans. The story submissions were also set up by African Americans and it was most likely African Americans that read all these stories on these journals. It can also be said that this strengthens the idea about Ernestine Rose wanting more literature to be available for African Americans because the journal these provides stories to the community.
  6. Kayla Nelson
    1. The archival object that I choose was the play bill of a play called ” Haiti’ by William Du Bois. That was shown at Lafayette Theatre, which in its time was one of the most famous theaters in Harlem. This Item caught my eye because I am Haitian, and growing up there was not much pride that I felt in my culture because in those times people made fun of immigrants and decedents of immigrants. My mom always reminds me of the story of Toussaint Louverture who was the leader in the Haitian Revolution against French colonizers and Slavery. Haiti was the first country to gain independence and be emancipated from slavery and he even went into other countries, even here in America to help free slaves. He is one of the most important figures in our history as African Americans and I believe his story says so much about Haitian people and their culture and it gave me something to be extremely proud of. So seeing a play bill about his story especially in a time of the Harlem renaissance where African Americans were learning about their roots and the strength we possess as a whole is important.
    2. The playbill relates to the Harlem Renassicance because it is telling the story of not just an African – Caribbean or Haitian man but the first and only man for a very long time who was able to beat the French and free his people. I believe the telling of his story gave people strength or allowed them to see themselves in a new light. Its also important because it was the telling of history that many people did not know.