Act III: Post here (Section OL76)

Due Thursday December 3 before class.

Assignment Instructions. Create a GIS map with a minimum of four layers that graphically display urban artifacts, infrastructure, demographics, zoning, etc. Each layer should include a labeled marker for the site of the theatre and a 1-mile radius buffer for the neighborhood. When choosing which datasets to include, you need to go beyond the examples discussed in class. Make assessments of the kinds of information you need for your particular project and use those datasets. Once you have pulled the data into your map, edit the symbology for effective, clear communication of the information.  

Submission: Take screenshots of four layers with legends. Post your screenshots on OpenLab (if you prefer, post a link to a shared document containing the images). This is an individual assignment — each student submits their own map. Your work will be assessed on the basis of 1) relevance to your project (theatre) and 2) clarity and strength of symbology to communicate the data. 

43 thoughts on “Act III: Post here (Section OL76)”

1. Good work. A couple of things. The strongest message in the symbology of the first map is land use, not gender. Gender came up in another map, but again, I can’t see it in the map or the legend. In any case, gender isn’t going to tell you very much about your area since it’s not relevant for theater attendance (mostly) and gender is rather uniform across the city. I would leave this out of your analysis.

1. I think the data you chose to focus on will help you with your project. Particularly interesting that there is a section of the neighborhood right behind Lincoln Center that is principally Hispanic. Ask yourself why and ask yourself how the MET can reach out to this population. Some of your symbology is over creative. The $ marks are interesting, but it’s hard for the viewer to really see changes in levels across the map. Same with diamonds.

1. Your maps clearly relay the information, but you should be careful about how much weight to put in them. In midtown, there is a strong correlation between the demographic information and the commercial zoning. You’ll notice that the data is different around your theater — but this has mostly to do with the fact that residential zoning is much lower in the area (demographic data relies on residential info). In other words, you won’t be able to rely on much of this data since your target audience isn’t really the blocks around the theater. Either look further East to where there are more residential neighborhoods, or base your recommendation for the theater on the architectural designs of the theater itself. Does this make sense?

1. There’s something wrong with your data in the income and racial profile maps. They don’t make sense. Take another look. Perhaps you didn’t set up the symbology correctly. Also, I’m not sure how information on gender will help you (gender data is probably pretty uniform across the city, so it won’t tell you anything special), nor will the car ownership information help you since everyone within a 1-mile radius can walk to the theater!

1. I think there’s something wrong with your poverty line map… 1/4 of the residents in that area cannot be below the poverty line (particularly when the median income is between 85-120K). I’m not sure how they are measuring that. I think the information in your other maps will help you with your analysis.

1. Overall good work, but as you can see, since your buffer zone covers such a large heterogeneous area, I would decrease the size of your buffer for the final analysis. Try .5 mile radius. This way you can get a more precise picture of land use and demographics.

1. Measuring disposal income is a great idea, since this is where people are going to get their theater-going funds. I think your radius is too large. Decrease by half. You can’t get a clear picture of the demographics and land use in such a large swath.

1. The “traveling to work” map is excellent! you will certainly see a correspondence between this information and zoning (commercial). I don’t think a racial profile of the area tells you very much. It’s pretty homogeneous. Since your theater is mostly in a commercial zone, you will need to focus more on the architectural design itself to determine appropriate productions for the space.

1. You need to do a little more thinking about the kind of data that will help you develop a recommendation for the theater. The racial make-up is pretty uniformly white, so that doesn’t tell you much. And generally the income in the area is high. But the theater is non-profit, which provides opportunities to do shows for lower-income people — what about children in the area? Does the education level tell you anything interesting? Also, you need to incorporate legends in each of the maps.

1. I’m not sure the data in your maps reveals anything special about the area. You’ll notice that the area is mostly commercial (from your PLUTO map). Since the residential population is sparse, you should give more attention to the analysis of your architectural plans for your final conclusions.