Antigone

Reply to this post with a quote from the play that relates to the conflict between the Greek state and traditional religion. You may also choose a quote that speaks to the dynamics of gender conflict in the play. 

40 thoughts on “Antigone”

1. Antigone told her sister: “The law you will break is not of man making”
    telling her that cryon orders are not of the Gods will that he is just a mortal like everyone else, not being able to bury her brother is not of traditional religion.

2. A line that stuck out as impactful was when Antigone said “The approval of the dead is everlasting.”
    It shows that despite what the laws at the time may say, her belief of the respect of the dead triumphs over its influence on her.

3. A line that stood out to me the most was when Antigone and her sister are talking. Antigone says “I wont betray him now that he’s dead, and no one will every throw that in my face”. Antigone is willing to be beaten to death with stones so that her brother has a proper burial instead of being placed in the middle of nowhere as if he never existed.

4. A line that I found interesting from Antigone was “It is your law, not gods”. This line relates to religion because it shows how people were religious and have faith in a superior being, by taking into account that god comes first, by demonstrating loyalty and honor.

5. In the play of Antigone there was a certain line that stood out to me. “We are the last ones left sister and what has death have promised for us more terrible than anything if we break the law by defying the king.” This shows how Antigone will stop at nothing just for her brother to have a normal burial but because it is a democratic era woman technically have no say in anything. Woman are powerless and she knows if she proceeds with this then she will be put down.

6. A line I liked was when Antigone said “Its your law, not the law of the gods.” It shows how mortal men make mistakes and are very selfish with their actions and the use of the gods show how these religious figures know what is morally correct.

7. The power of the state seemed to supersede that of religious ritual. As the King stated, “The people who serve the state, alive of dead, that makes no difference, I shall honor them and reward them too “. The King believes the state can decide who can enter the afterlife with honor. Those who disobey are punished not only in life but in death.

8. The quote “And laws that you enact cannot overturn ancient moralities or common human decency.” spoken by Antigone to Creon stood out to me because it shows how Antigone holds her own beliefs, as well as the laws of the gods which is expanded upon in the full speech, as above the laws of the state.

9. “How can we fight against the institutionalized strength of the male sex” is a quote that spoke to me. Antigone’s sister points out the gender dynamic in the play by displaying how women had little to no power during that time period. With that said, Antigone’s(a women) decision to bury her brother was viewed as radical and against the norm especially with the fact that she was going against a law set in place by the King(a man).

10. A quote that I feel reflected the divide between politics and religion was:

Chorus: “All men honour, and the state uplifts that men to the heights of glory, whose powers uphold the constitution and the gods and their laws.”

This quote implies that the laws that the state enforces are also the laws that the god created. This is important because it symbolizes the idea that politics and religion share the same laws, when in fact the laws of the gods and religion have often conflicting agendas.

This idea of conflicting laws between the politics and religion is also well represented with this quote by Antigone when she explained why she disobeyed the law that Creon created:

Antigone: “Because it’s your law, not the law of god. Natural justice, which is of all times and places numinous, not material, a quality of Zeus, not of kings, recognizes no such law.”

11. For me, a quote that stood out to me was:

“A Ruler who fears the consequences or who’s afraid to act openly or take the good advice of his senators is beneath contempt. Equally contemptible, is the man who puts the interests of his friends or his relations before his country; there is nothing good can be said of him.”

This was said by Creon, who is the current king of Thebes. What this shows to me is that Creon believes himself to be a strong and just ruler. He believes that the ends justify the means and that anyone who fears the consequences is not a good ruler. Also, he believes that a king that does not listen to his advisors is not a good ruler. Equally he believes that a man who puts the interest of himself and his friends before the state is worth hatred. What this shows about the conflict between Greek state and Greek religion is that – as portrayed by Creon – the state should be run by someone who does not fear consequences of any kind, be they religious consequences or otherwise.

12. It stood out to me Antigone’s response to her sister’s Ismene speech of not wanting to break the law of men and that women are weaker, therefore, having no place to do stand up for anything.
    Antigone stands up for her beliefs and for what she believes is right and just no matter gender nor law and states:

“I intend to bury my brother and if I die in the attempt, I shall die in the knowledge that I did justly and that be a kind of happiness. I shall lie peacefully beside my brother whom I loved in my actions as well as in words. Our lives are short and we have too little time to waste in on men and laws they make. The approval of the dead is everlasting and I shall bask in it as I lie among them. Do as you please, live, by all means, the laws you will make and not of man’s making.”

13. Antigone : “He cannot forbidden me to love my brother, he has neither the right nor the power to do that.” Compare to the powerful king, Antigone used her little power to against the state, which made her character look much more mighty and full of sympathy. She did not afraid the consequences of doing what that she think is right. In spite of she is a minority — a woman, she has the courage to stand up to all the male state worker and the king, this shows that she is a great person with pity in her heart, and not only show it with her words but also her action. It made the audience realized in that moment, she would not compromised.

14. One of the most impacting quotes from the play is “We are women after all, physically weaker and far from any political influence. How can we fight against the institutional tight to the male sex. They’re in power and we have to obey them…”. This is a very strong quote because it represents the actual power that women had during the 1970s. They couldn’t take a decision without the approval of a man.

15. The quote that I really liked was the “I will fail when I fail and not before”. This one really stood out for me because Antigone was not going to give up on burying her brother without even trying and regardless of what the king and/or law said. She valued her family enough to not care about the boundaries between gender and was brave enough to do what she thought was right.

16. “May God forgive me and the spirits of the dead, we have no choice. State Power commands and we must do as we are told.” Antigone sister Ismene showed that she feared the laws of the state more than she revered the gods or the spirits of the dead. she held the state to a higher demeanor.

17. I think a line from the movie that i enjoyed was where Antigone stood against the king and claimed she buried the body. She stated “Yes I did because its your law not the law of god, natural justice which is of all times and places not material quality of Zeus not of king recognizes no such law. Your are merely a man” I found this quote intriguing because she goes against the kings wishes which is breaking the law, especially for women, and at the same time she downgrades his power by telling him he is just a man not a god.

18. During the play, the quote that stood out to me the most was when her sister said”We’re women that’s all, physically weaker and barred from any political influence.” This just shows how much the gender conflict plays a vast role in how women are allowed to react. Without any influence and limitations of being a female to the other males during this time they were weak and didn’t deserve the powers and opinions to go against what the higher power declared.

19. One line in the play that really stood out was when Antigone said, “The approval of the dead is everlasting. And I shall bask in it as I lie among them”. I liked this quote, because at this point Antigone was ready for all the consequences that may arise from her actions but she did not care because she wanted to do right for her brother.

20. The two phrases that stood out to me where “laws that you enact cannot overturn ancient moralities or common human decency,” and ” I did because it’s your law not the law of God,” The second phrase counter s the first because it shows that some laws should be broken even if it been in place for a while and that you can break man-made laws. Even though laws were put in place for a reason, people should suffer harsh consequences.

21. A quote that showed the conflict between the Greek state and traditional religion was when Antigone said, “Your law not the law of God” and then ended with “You are nearly a man…you cannot overturn the laws of eternity”. This makes people think of what is more assertive, the laws of man or of faith/religion. What should be followed and held to a higher degree. Antigone represented the religious and the King represented the political. A quote that demonstrated the dynamics of the gender conflict is when Antigone’s sister says “How can we fight the institutionalized power of the male sex”. This shows how males where automatically the ones with power and it difficult go against that when you are seen as powerless from the start just based off of sex.

22. Reply to this post with a quote from the play that relates to the conflict between the Greek state and traditional religion. You may also choose a quote that speaks to the dynamics of gender conflict in the play.
    _____________________________
    The following line from Ismene best highlights the struggle between state and religious tradition along with what it all means between the genders:

“We are only women, We cannot fight with men, Antigone! The law is strong, we must give in to the law In this thing, and in worse. I beg the Dead To forgive me, but I am helpless: I must yield. To those in authority. And I think it is dangerous business To be always meddling.”

It becomes clear that there is an order to Man, Tradition/religion, and women. Man’s(state) rule is supreme; this is seen in how the text draws parallel between “men” and “law” above all else. Religion follows second since it follows to conform or aligns after the rule of man. This order is also confirmed by Ismene’s cry for forgiveness to the dead, “I beg the Dead To forgive me”. it shows that in the absence of order by men, tradition/religion has leadership. sadly it is second to man. Lastly, the place of women is the only thing left to pull in ranks on, and Ismene illustrates this at the very start by stating that women are helpless.

23. One quote that stood out to me was “We’re women, that’s all, physically weaker and barred from any political influence. How can we fight against the institutionalized strength of the male sex?.” This quote stood the most because even it shows what kind of position women had in those times and even though Ismene wants to help out Antigone she can’t because she believes her gender disadvantages her.

24. my favorite quote would have to be “death is the worst thing that can happen. and some deaths are more honorable than others” – Antigone because she believes what we already know as humans that sometimes death can give people meaning more than living ever could and its still relevant today.

25. The quote that really stood out to me was “Some Deaths are more honorable than others.” This quote really made me think about how when someone passes away people care differently depending on who they are , if a famous singer were to die , everyone would care or people that like the singer would care or feel bad but if it was just someone random that no one knows I feel like not many people would care as much.

26. The quote that brought my attention was ” public stoning to death”. This quote can be interpreted in many different ways; physically stoning, mentally stoning, or verbally stoning. As human beings, we tend to criticize each other most of the time and can cause the other person to feel some type of way. The most dangerous part of a human being is the tongue since it acts before the mind.

27. “If I die in attempt, I shall die in the knowledge that I acted justly.” This quote didn’t hit me this first time I heard it. I think I was caught up in trying to understand both positions. It wasn’t until the second time i viewed the beginning where it hit me. Antigone wasn’t trying to discredit her sister, she was only trying to stay true to her personal conviction. It reminded me about a quote I once heard someone say, “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

28. In the play Antigones sister says to Antigone, ” we are the last ones left sister and what a death is promised for us, more terrible than any if we break the law by defying the king and the power of the state.” This quote relates to the greek state and traditional religion since Antigone is trying to break it due to the fact that her brother needs a proper burial.

29. My favorite quote in Antigone was,“Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law.” ― Jean Anouilh, Antigone this has to do with the Greek state and traditions because it explains laws and how to follow them. using the word “Sacred” adds a religious context to the quote. And in religion you must obey the higher power, but also in government you must obey the law and those of higher power as well.

30. In the play Antigone sister says to Antigone ” the male sex is in power we have to follow their command”. This shows a gender conflict, where the male sex is valued over the females. I find it insane how the women were completely fine with it, look how far we come.

31. The phrase that stood out to me was ” i did because it’s your law not the law of god,” this phrase stood out to me because i feel it has come up many times in many individuals life where one might believe that the law being enforced is wrong and its not adequate because it has been man made and therefore it may be bias.

32. The quote, “Your edict, King, was strong, but all your strength is weakness itself against; The immortal unrecorded laws of God; They are not merely now: they were, and shall be, operative for ever, beyond man utterly.” stood out to me because it showed Antigone’s persistence and strength in doing what was just and respectful and not what was law and order.

33. The quote that stood out to me was the following: “It’s got to be nice to get yourself out of trouble.” This quote interested me because it shows how privilege was not granted to everyone just like today. People in higher authority seem to get away with more than an average person can.