Tuition Fees Are No More!

Ever wish that you could attend college for free? Prepare to jump for joy, because you might be getting your wish! Well, that is if a proposed legislation, called Tuition Free-NY, is passed. The potential legislation, would offer students free tuition at New York’s public colleges. Sound appealing so far? Don’t get too excited just yet, for there is a catch. In exchange for free tuition, you must volunteer for 250 hours of community service, during your college years. And if that isn’t hard enough, you are not allowed to relocate outside of New York once you graduate, for at least 5 years.

With Tuition Free-NY, college grads would get a chance to start out with lower student debt, which is at a all time high this year. Assemblyman James Skoufis, whose sponsoring the legislation, hopes that this will keep students in the state, and not have NYC lose it’s intellect and income.

Honestly, with the amount of loans I owe, I’m on my knees praying that this legislation is passed. But then again, while I’d gladly take community service, over paying thousands of dollars, I’m not so sure how I feel about being forced to stick around in NYC, for the next 5 years. That’s a long time, especially when you have no idea what the future holds.

I guess the real question is, do the pro’s out way the negative?