Our overall impression from walking around was that many of the departments make attempts at being informative to students.
- Most have advising hours posted (one calls it problem solving hours)
- Postings about potential jobs or internships
- Information about tutoring
- Student department specific club
- Other informational resources.
An overall feeling that we got was that the information was dry and often times the negative shouted out the positive. I.e. you can do this BUT….
- The sign in the lounge area was Music can be played (a nice message) but then in BOLD and UNDERLINED – DURING CLUB HOURS ONLY.
- The “Welcome center” was closed when we got there and right outside was a screen that said “DO NOT TOUCH”
- 24 HOUR ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE sign in red by the lounge are.
Not overly welcoming.
Active student academic club
Information about tutoring
A warm and welcoming message (on a drab sheet of paper)
Two images taken from areas where students can go to relax – both stressing the negative rather than the positive.