Homework due by 9/20: Emailing Professors

–due 9/20 by the start of class–

Many times, students don’t know the rules when it comes to writing emails to professors. This isn’t their fault! There are so many rules, how could a person keep track? That’s why I want you to practice. First, watch this slide show about emailing a professor (OR if slideshows aren’t your thing, read this blogpost by another professor) and then write me an email either: 

1. Asking me a question about Unit 1. This can be a question you have about the assignment or about your essay in particular or
    2. Explaining to me how your essay is going. 

If you have something else you want to talk about, feel free to write about that. These topics are really just there to give you ideas. Do your best to follow all the guidelines given in the handout! If you don’t get it right, that’s okay, but give it a shot. 

**Keep in mind that, while I don’t require you to address me as “Professor Stone”, many of your teachers will. Also, I’m pretty good with names. Still, you should use this as an opportunity to practice employing the different conventions of the ‘academic email’ genre.