Workshop 1

Activity:
  1. List 3 concepts that you expect students to have as prior knowledge when entering your course (for SPA 2202HS).

a) oral/ communicative skills in Spanish

b) ability to read in Spanish

c) experience using the language (Spanish) with native speakers

1. List 3 concepts that you expect students to gain as new knowledge in your course.

a) understand and respect speakers from other Spanish varieties and different social backgrounds

b) spelling and grammar rules specifically customized for Spanish heritage speakers

c) the socioeconomic and sociopolitical importance of the Latino community in the US

Reflection:

How could this exercise help the transfer of knowledge from one course to another within your curriculum?

The curriculum must be built uniformly, establishing different and graduated stages of knowledge in the discipline. Focusing on the most important topics and learning outcomes of the course is key, as well as the assessments of those contents. When students have acquired this knowledge, they will be able to transfer this to their next course and use this prior knowledge to scaffold the learning of new concepts.

One thought on “Workshop 1

1. Jessie Sholl

Prior knowledge (for ENG 1101 – English composition, level one):

– Basic standards of English grammar
    – The concept of different writing styles being required for different settings
    – Note taking skills

New Knowledge I hope they leave the class with:

– More sophisticated grasp of grammar, punctuation, and formatting for academic papers; familiarity with MLA formatting and knowledge of where to find answers to formatting questions
    – Fluency in writing in different styles for different settings, for example resumes, emails to professors, graduate school applications as well as a grasp on when to use which style
    – Critical thinking with regard to note-taking that includes not just annotating but also summarizing, paraphrasing, quoting, and writing rhetorical precis when required.

Reflection:

I’ve always had learning outcomes on my syllabi, but the ones I’ve listed above are more precise (and definitely not a complete list) as well as more directly connected to specific lessons I can incorporate into my lessons throughout the semester.

Since I’ve taught level two composition before, I was able to think about what I’d like students to know coming into the course, and that also helped guide my list. I also realize that I would like to have a more sophisticated diagnostic at the outset of ENG 1101. Right now, on the first day of class I have the students take out a piece of paper and write three things: 1) What they’re looking forward to in the class, 2) What they’re most nervous about in the class, and 3) Their favorite book, poem, or short story – and why. I collect the papers and use that to help me tweak my syllabus, going by what problems I spot in their writing. Perhaps in the future I will also include a short quiz that targets the areas I specifically want to evaluate.