Chapter 5 – Metacognitive Learning Strategies at Work

1. I have used similar techniques to Strategy 6 “Go to class and take notes” and Strategy 10 “Homework and Quizes as clues”.

By using homework and quizes, the students get to focus on the main concepts of the subject through the written word and sketches, since CMCE 2457 – Construction Techniques in Civil Engineering focuses on the materials and methods used in the construction process. The students could use homework, tests and the text to refer to, so if it was not fully understood during the lecture they could find it in the text to clarify it. I also use Defined Key Terms of the subject matter to use as a reference. (e.g. Explain Deep Foundations – Shallow Foundations – Grade Beams etc.)

With respect to strategy 6, I have always encouraged students to take hand written notes and to keep them for future reference; however, a check once or twice during the semester doesn’t seem to be enough. I will try to make part of their grade. McGuire’s study (strategy #3) shows that students will have to paraphrase when they take notes. This may also lead the students to learn to paraphrase them that their computers are a tool not a crutch.

2. One example of the learning strategies that I may use in CMCE 2457 is to re-struture my lecture notes to provide basic information in my lecture notes, where students will have to go to the text or homework assignments more often to complete or supplement the information when studying for a test.

3. I intend to introduce them to the Metacognitive learning strategy in the first class by explaining that all class materials can be found in the lecture notes, text (which I always have as required reading), homework etc.  I will stress, as always, that copying from a friend is not going to help them learn; however, I have found that students don’t try to help friends or teach them, they tend to copy from them (right or wrong) to get their work submitted on time.

4. In order to increase retention of materials in the fall, we can try to implement the minimum number of strategies, monitor the initial outcomes to see what works, and introduce other strategies in future semesters. We can present it to all students and focus on the few that are struggling, since the tracking of information may be a little too much to accomplish and complete the course syllabus.