Workplace Environment

So far, everything up to this point as been swell. I’m constantly learning about the actual work that is being done, but also about the culture of the workplace. As I stated in an earlier post, my hours are from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. with an half hour of lunch sometime between 12 and 2 pm. Monday through Thursday everything is a very formal, full on business manner. I wear slacks and a button up shirt on most days. Ties are optional and a bit overkill here unless you’re a director or have an important meeting.

Friday’s seem a bit more relaxed, with everyone allowed to dress down, although the work and the meetings are still business like. Every once in a while you’ll have a very casual meeting about a specific project. I guess that really depends on the people conducting/leading the meeting. Everyone has a cubicle except Directors and some managers; they have offices. Construction is currently taking place and is making things seem more transparent: glass doors are being installed everywhere.

Everyone seems a bit relaxed and down to earth. When I have lunch mostly everyone acknowledges me, and quite a few actually talk to me. It has been really fun and interesting listening to what people have to say about the place, and each other! Lunch time is relaxing and offers me the time to get acclimated to the people around me. I will hope to learn much more about the place in the coming weeks.