HW for Friday (1p)

Hi all,
Instead of meeting in person on Wednesday (5/15), please work through the below exercise to prepare for taking the final exam next Wednesday.  The article I want you to practice with is once again “Hello, Stranger” (pp. 90-2 in Packet II), but the methods practiced should help you with reading and responding to the article that the real final exam will be on.

A PDF of the actual final exam article can be found in the Assignments folder; you are encouraged to read and research about this article before the exam, but I’m not allowed to discuss it with you, which is why I’m working instead with you on the “Hello, Stranger” practice exam.

Note there will be one final blog assignment, due next Monday 5/20; all essays and blog entries will be due the day of the final exam, next Wed 5/22.  Below are the additional prompts on “Hello, Stranger” I’d like you to do.

I. Reading the article (“Hello Stranger,” p. 90-1) for the basics. Fill in the below info.
Title, Author(s):
Topic/Main Idea:
Thesis (this is often different than the topic):

II. Reading the prompts (p. 92).  Fill in the below info for each prompt (A and B).
Topic/Main Idea:
Thesis (yours; also think of how this responds to the author’s):
Content you must include:
Content you can include:
III. Researching to prepare and generate content for your response essay.  Using a web or library search, find at least one piece of media (text, image, video, etc.) that can add something new to your discussion of the main topic of “Hello, Stranger.”  Include a link and a brief note on the article you find below.

12 thoughts on “HW for Friday (1p)”

1. I. Reading the article (“Hello Stranger,” p. 90-1) for the basics. Fill in the below info.
    Title, Author(s): “Hello, Stranger” By Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton.
    Topic/Main Idea:
    Thesis (this is often different than the topic):

II. Reading the prompts(p. 92).  Fill in the below info for each prompt (AandB).

Prompt A:

Topic/Main Idea: Do you agree with the authors main point that by talking to strangers it could benefit us.

Thesis (yours; also think of how this responds to the author’s): According to “Hello, Stanger” by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton they believe that by talking to other people on the train could benefit us.

Content you must include: A thesis that either defends or argues against the main idea of the article. Write an essay which the reader agree or disagree with the author’s belief. Be sure to refer to the article “Hello, Stranger” to help illustrate your points.

Content you can include: Use personal experience, the experience of someone you know, and/ or ideas from materials that you have read or viewed to support your ideas.

Prompt B:

Topic/Main Idea: Write a essay in which I describe a time when I feel about a certain experience ended up being very different than I expected to be.

Thesis (yours; also think of how this responds to the author’s): According to “Hello, Stanger” by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton they want the reader to write about a time where they experience to talk to a stranger and end up in a very different situation and what the reader believe it will be.

Content you must include: Write a time where you feel about a certain experience that ended up being very different from what you thought it will be. Also, why do you think there was a such gap between the prediction the I made about my feelings and the actual experience. Be sure to have a clear thesis and that you refer to the article “Hello, Strangers”.

Content you can include: Draw a experiences from work, school, or my personal life to illustrate my ideas.

III. Researching to prepare and generate content for your response essay.  Using a web or library search, find at least one piece of media (text, image, video, etc.) that can add something new to your discussion of the main topic of “Hello, Stranger.”  Include a link and a brief note on the article you find below.

Video youtube :https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=rFpDK2KhAgw

2. I

Hello Stranger, Dunn, Elizabeth W. and Michael Norton

While conducting an experiment about if commuters will have a pleasant or unpleasant commute or day after speaking with a complete stranger while traveling on their commute, how many of them will predict they have a pleasant interaction with a stranger.

People have more to gain from talking to strangers while on their commute than indulging in ‘me time’.

II
    Prompt A:

I agree with Dunn and Norton’s assertion that, “When we talk to strangers, we stand to gain much more than ‘me time’ we might lose”.

People can gain potential business partners, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends etc. from being a little more friendly on public transportation.

In the article “Hello Stranger”, Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton talk about an experiment that was done in a Midwestern university, where a “college-age woman walked by people on campus and either made eye contact, smiled at them while making eye contact or directed her gaze “beyond the ear of that passer-by,” deliberately avoiding eye co. She was trailed by another researcher, who surveyed people in her wake. Those who were looked at as though they weren’t there reported feeling more disconnected from others.

Meeting my now friend Ashley first on the train on my way to and from work, then again at my job; CVS
. Being in a bad mood while traveling and strangers (older women) talking to me about their day or how times have changed makes me forget all about my attitude.

Prompt B:

How I enjoyed and actually miss working at Good Shepherd Services (GSS).

How working in a all girls group home on an overnight shift wasn’t for me. Thinking of all the negatives and everything that can go wrong instead of thing about what could go right and how I can have a positive effect on the female youths.

During an experiment conducted in a Chicago train station by behavioral scientist Nicholas Epley and Juliana Schroeder, they asked some people to predict how they would feel interacting with a stranger while on the train, and felt as if their ride would be better if they kept to themselves and the group of people who actually had to interact with strangers reported “the conversations were consistently pleasant” according to Dunn and Norton.

My experience vs my assumptions working at GSS.

3. I. Reading the article (“Hello Stranger,” p. 90-1) for the basics. Fill in the below info.

Title, Author(s): Hello Stranger, Dunn, Elizabeth W. and Michael Norton
    Topic/Main Idea: What if the rules of talking to strangers or making direct eye contact with them are wrong.
    Thesis (this is often different than the topic): “The great thing about strangers is that we tend to put on our happy face when we meet them.

Prompt A:
    Topic/Main Idea:  I agree that spending time with strangers does more than “me time” we might lose in fact you build a relationship.
    Thesis (yours; also think of how this responds to the author’s): According to “Hello, Stanger” by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton they believe that by talking to other people could benefit us rather then it effecting us and wasting out personal times.
    Content you must include: evidence that proves your point why you either agree or disagree.
    Content you can include: Use personal background experience of how you experienced building a new friendship with a stranger.
    Prompt B:
    Topic/Main Idea: Write an essay where you state how your outcome was different from what you initially thought how it was going to happen or take place.
    Thesis (yours; also think of how this responds to the author’s): write about a time where your expectations were different from how the situation actually ended up
    Content you must include: Write a time where you feel about a certain experience that ended up being very different from what you thought it will be
    Content you can include: Give personal background information relating to how you went through such experience
    Discussion:
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/09/22/talking-to-strangers.aspx

4. Reading the article (“Hello Stranger,” p. 90-1) Title, Author(s): “Hello, Stranger” By Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton.

Prompt A:Topic/Main Idea:  I agree that spending time with strangers does more than just having out time, sometimes we might lose in fact you build a relationship with certain individual. Thesis: According to “Hello, Stanger” by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton they try to make you understand that by talking to other people it could actually benefit us rather then it effecting our time of day in our personal lives.Content you must include: evidence that proves your point why you either agree or disagree.Content you can include: You can always use your own personal life experiences on ways you have built new friendships with strangers and the experiences that have come with that.
    Prompt B:
    Thesis;  According to “Hello, Stranger” by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton they want the reader to understand and write about a time where they experience talking to a stranger and end up in a very different situation and what the reader believes could of gone better.
    Content you must include: Write a time where you feel about a certain experience that ended up being very different from what you thought it will be. Also, why do you think there was a such gap between the prediction the I made about my feelings and the actual experience. Be sure to have a clear thesis and that you refer to the article “Hello, Strangers”.
    Content you can include: Your own personal life experiences of meeting a stranger and what you expected to happen with certain individual to what really happened.

Article/ Discussion : https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happy-trails/201604/why-you-should-talk-strangers

5. 1. Title, Author(s): “Hello Stranger,” By Elizabeth W.Dunn and Michael Norton.

Topic/Main Idea : How talking to strangers can benefit us

Thesis (this is often different than the topic): If commuters would be better off isolated than from fellow riders that they may sit and try to socialize with.

II. Prompt A

Topic/Main Idea: I agree with Dunn and Norton’s statement that”When we talk to strangers, we stand to gain much more than ‘me time’ we might lose.”

Thesis (yours; also think of how this responds to the author’s): People can gain so much information as well as develop new friendships with strangers that might share the same interests as them just by having a simple conversation.

In the article “Hello Stranger”,Dunn and Norton mentions a study done with a middle-aged woman playing the game called Candy Crush Saga after sitting down next to a hipster who was scrolling through his iTunes library, completely in his own world. They both missed the opportunity to speak with each other and failed to try to build a connection. This happens most of the time when we are on trains that we do not attempt to make conversations with strangers because we are focused more on ‘me time’.

Prompt B:

A similar experience happened to me on my way to New Jersey on the train. While I was on the train heading to Manhattan, I didn’t know what stop to get off at to get to the New Jersey Transit. So a middle-aged lady came on the train and took a seat next to be and I was debating in my mind if I should ask her if she knows where I need to get off at. Just like people in the experiment that Dunn and Norton described in “Hello Stranger”, I found it difficult to start a conversation and thought about if the lady would want to talk to me, Finally I slightly tapped her shoulder because she was listening to music and I asked her if she knew where I could get the New Jersey Transit, and she told me she was from New Jersey and told me that I needed to get off 34th street then get a ticket. Surprisingly, she was heading back there from work and we ended up talking the whole train ride to 34th street and even to New Jersey Transit. At the end of the day, I learned more about where everything was and I had a very good conversation with a lady that I never met until today.

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/10-reasons-you-should-talk-strangers.html

This article lists a couple of reason why one should talk to strangers without feeling awkward.

1. Hey Shanice ,  I totally relate to your situation about wanting to ask someone for help. It happened to me as well but I decided to take the chance and I also ended up having a conversation with the person. I’m glad you were able to learn and ask for help.

6. Title , Author(s): Hello Stranger , by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton

Topic/Main Idea : How can talking to strangers benefit us?

Thesis: In the article , “Hello Stranger” , authors Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton believe that you can gain information with having a conversation while commuting.

II. Prompt A
    Topic/ Main Idea:  I agree with what the authors have stated in regards to talking to strangers.

Thesis: People can be able to gain so much understanding and even start a friendship with a stranger while commuting.

In the article, it’s mentioned “Most people imagined it would be difficult to start a conversation . They estimated that fewer than half of their fellow commuters would want to talk to them. But in fact, not a single person reported having been snubbed. And the conversations were consistently pleasant. This explains that if people were to open up to start a conversation , they would often be engaged into a pleasant one like how people have reported.

III. Prompt  B

I had a similar experience on the train where most people tend to be on their phones and just do their own thing. I was on the N line going towards Coney Island on my way home and a girl came on the train and I was very attracted by the shirt she was wearing because it was Lana Del Rey and she’s my favorite singer. I made a conversation with her, We were talking about what her favorite song of hers was and if she’s ever seen her live. The point is if you ever see something that catches your eye or you just want to make a conversation instead of looking at them and not say anything.. Just make the first move to a conversation.!!! I learned that you don’t lose anything with wanting to talk whether it’s a stranger or not. We all did not grow up knowing each other.

7. Title, Author(s): “Hello, Stranger” By Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton.Topic/Main Idea: Is the avoiding strangers norm something we should follow?Thesis (this is often different than the topic):  “Don’t make eye contact, stay as far away from other people as the space allows, and for the love of god, don’t talk to anyone. But what if the rules are wrong?
     Prompt A:
    Title, Author(s): “Hello, Stranger” By Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton.Topic/Main Idea: My position on talking to strangers. Thesis (this is often different than the topic): Often we are told to follow this norm where we should avoid all contact with strangers. However, we should be aware to the the potential benefits we can get from it as well.
    In the article, it states “By avoiding contact we’re all following a collective assumption that turns out to be false.” Often in society we are given boundaries and limits where we aren’t challenging ourselves to overcome them. However once we are able to step out of our comfort zones it can lead us to make new discoveries that we have never imagined of.

Prompt B:

Relating to this topic I have had similar experiences when using public transportation. Although I have never been the one to start a conversation with someone on the train there have been times where someone has with me. Whenever this does happen it changes my perception of this communication with strangers. After all everyone starts off as strangers, it makes me realizes everyone is in the same situation. I always see it as I am on this train with a destination to be reached and so is every one else, so are we really strangers.

8. I.
    Topic/Main Idea: Talking to strangers will make our daily mood better.
    Thesis: Talking to strangers may improve our daily mood rather than staying in our bubble. This will also make us socialize and be more out there rather than being antisocial.

II.  Prompt A
    Topic/Main Idea:   I agree that spending time with strangers will help you feel more outgoing and helps you get out of your comfort zone.
    Thesis : According to “Hello, Stanger” by Elizabeth W. Dunn and Michael Norton they agree that by talking to strangers will benefit us by making our mood better.
    Content you must include: A thesis is when you prove your point why you either agree or disagree.
    Content you can include: Use personal experience to build a connection to a conversation with a stranger.

Prompt B
    I had a similar experience on public streets where if there is an event I’m going to, such as a concert someone will start talking to me and we tend to go from there because if we are in the same event, that means we have the same topic to talk about which we don’t need to think hard about. This definitely makes my mood better because I’m meeting people that have similar interests as me. Situations like these made me more outgoing and have no fear to talk to someone. This is another way I learned how to bring up random topics and have a good conversation with someone.
    III.
    Here is an Ted talk where it tells us why we should talk to strangers

https://www.success.com/ted-talks-why-you-should-talk-to-strangers/

9. Title, Author(s): “Hello Stranger,” By Elizabeth W.Dunn and Michael Norton.
    Topic/Main Idea :People can benefit from talking to strangers.
    Thesis:Why people are not want to meet new people around they when pass by the daily life.

I agree with the author by talking to people include strangers can be benefit if their word have value after.

As my personal experiment with strangers was thinking how other feel about me and live hard.