HW/Prompt for Mon 3/25

READING
Read the first part of Geert Lovink’s “The Social Media Ideology” (pp. 15-29 in Packet II).  Skim “EXAMPLE ESSAY 2” (pp. 25-32) and “Explaining Quotations” (pp. 32-4).
WRITING PROMPT (2 parts):
A) Reflecting on Online Feedback from Classmates (& Me).  Read back through all of your blog posts and the feedback you received on them from classmates.  Then, write a paragraph summarizing the comments you received and/or what you noticed about your writing.  As we pass through the midpoint of the semester, what do you think the strengths of your writing are?  What do you—and the classmates commenting on your work—think could be improved in your writing?  Be as specific as you can.
B) Explaining Quotations with Key Words.  Read the first half of Lovink’s “On the Social Media Ideology” and locate a passage where he discusses the word “ideology.”  In the first part of your response, introduce and write out this passage as a quotation.  Then use one of the “Templates for Explaining Quotations” (on p. 32) to explain what it means.  As part of your explanation, you can include questions about anything that is unclear in the quotation, but I also want you to spend at least 2 sentences speculating about what you think the meaning of the word “ideology” is—as well as how Lovink is using the term in the passage you’ve selected.

22 thoughts on “HW/Prompt for Mon 3/25”

1. A) The comments I received from my classmates and from my professor is that from my classmates and my professor they want me to elaborate or explained more in my answer to the homework and some time on my class work. When I write I noticed that I’m not on a college level writing, my vocabulary isn’t on the college level, and I need to improve on my grammars. I wish in the near future, I could improve on my writing, improve on my vocabulary, and improve on my grammars. I think the strength of my writing is that I could write in general, but I just need to improve on those three things which are (vocabulary, writing, and grammars). My classmate thinks I could make my sentence or paragraph longer and elaborated more.

B) In this passage, called “On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author introduces what is Ideology and how it connects to social media and technology. For example, in this passage it states that “Now, as in the 1970s, the role of ideology in navigating the limits of existing systems is all too real. To study ideology is to take a close look at this everyday life, here and now. What remains particularly unexplained is the apparent paradox between the hyper-individualized subject and the herd mentality of the social”(page 19). In other words, Geert Lovink believes that how ideology is a part of everyone’s daily lifestyle. Also, Geert Lovink is saying that would an individual or a group of social media people would use or define ideology. I think the word ideology stand for characteristic of an individual, group or culture. I also think that ideology means that the study of nature or human interaction. Lovink is using the term ideology as how a human or group interact with social media.

1. Thanks for this thoughtful post, Andy—the suggestion to explain in greater detail is a good one.  I think good college writing tends to err on the side of over-explaining so as to make sure the reader can fully understand the topic under discussion and the viewpoint of the writer.

Let’s focus on your quotation formatting for a moment.  Below is what you wrote with my suggestions in brackets:

For example, in this passage it [ <– use the author’s last name here; articles do not “state” things—people/authors do!] states that “Now, as in the 1970s, the role of ideology in navigating the limits of existing systems is all too real. To study ideology is to take a close look at this everyday life, here and now. What remains particularly unexplained is the apparent paradox between the hyper-individualized subject and the herd mentality of the social” [space] ([Author’s Last Name goes here] page [ <– delete “page”; leave only the number] 19). In other words, Geert [ <– delete author’s first name because you’ve already introduced him above by his full name and can subsequently refer to him by his last name] Lovink believes…

Please make these edits when you can.  Thanks!

1. Fix work from homework:

For example, Geert Lovink states that “As in the 1970s, the role of ideology in navigating the limits of existing systems is all too real. To study ideology is to take a close look at this everyday life, here and now. What remains particularly unexplained is the apparent paradox between the hyper-individualized subject and the herd mentality of the social” (Lovink 19). Lovink believes that how ideology is a part of everyone’s daily lifestyle. Also, Geert Lovink is saying that would an individual or a group of social media people would use or define ideology. 

2. Hey Andy,

I like your honesty about your writing. I feel the same way as far as needing to expand my vocabulary to be using “college level” words in my papers and writing responses. As far as grammar or punctuation, don’t feel bad, the English language can be confusing at times, I still mess up punctuation or some times use the wrong words like affect/effect. I also have a habit of overly using commas.

2. A) The comments I received from my professor and classmates from my professor is that I need to explain myself more because I will usually touch on a topic and sometimes I may not go as in-depth as much as I need too. I also need to explain my response more too. Sometimes when I write I might have weak grammer because I have a bad habit of not looking back at what wring just like this, which I’m not proud of. My vocabulary isn’t at the college level which I need to work on. My classmate thinks I could logical thinking based on stories and stuff.

b) In this passage, called “On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author shows us what is Ideology and it relates to social media and technology. in this passage it states that “California ideology” as defined in 1995 by Richard Barbrook and Andy Cameron helped us trace the motives underlying the internet back to their cold war roots”. This quote tells us about how Richard and Andy “trace the motives” which tells us about the definition of ideology, which is a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

1. Mazharul,  I agree with the point about going into greater detail when you write—this is perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind with college writing.  Great writers are constantly asking themselves “have I made myself clear” as they are writing.  Vocabulary can be built by reading challenging texts and finding words you like in them (like “ideology,” for instance)

Regarding part (b), I’m going to make some comments below [in brackets] and suggest that you edit/re-write it.  You write:

In [[this passage, called]] [ <– unnecessary verbiage here; delete] “On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author [[The entire first line up until here could be reduced and re-written as follows: In “On the Social Media Ideology,” Geert Lovink shows us…] shows us what is Ideology and [[missing linking word]] it relates to social media and technology. [[capitalize!] in this passage it [ <– use author’s last name, not “it”!] states that “California ideology” as defined in 1995 by Richard Barbrook and Andy Cameron helped us trace the motives underlying the internet back to their cold war roots” [include parenthetical citation here with author last name and page #]. This quote tells us about how Richard and Andy “trace the motives” which tells us about the definition of ideology, which is a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy. [[ <– Good start at explaining this quote; keeping going, though, and connect this idea back to social media: how does Lovink connect ideology to social media?]]

2. Hello Mazharulmahdi,

I like how you connects “On the Social Media Ideology” with social media and technology. I could connect your answer to my answer too.

3. A) The comments that I received from my professor/classmates is that I have a clear concept of the idea or concept but I do not go in detail as much as I want or need to. Sometimes I noticed that I would overwrite things that may not be important and not get straight to point, which is I hope to improve on. Another skill, I believe that I need to work on is expressing my ideas more in my writing whether it is with this class or outside class.

B) In this passage , called ” On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author introduces us to the concept of ideology and how it is related to social media and technology. In this passage it states that ” To study ideology is to take a close look at this everyday life, here and now.”(Lovink, 19). In my opinion, I believe Lovink is saying that ideology in a way is a kind of norm or standard that we are apart of in our everyday lives thanks to technology and seeing how it has become apart of our culture. In the passage it also states that “Without noticing, we have arrived at a new yet unnamed stage: the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology.'(Lovink, 18). In other words, Lovink believes that social media is what ideology is today based on our culture and technology advancing.

1. Shanice,

While I would err on the side of over-explaining, you bring up a good point that it’s possible to write too much or write around what you’re trying to convey rather than simply expressing it directly.  Glad you’re thinking about this.  Below are my edits for the first quotation in part (b).  I would also check the second quote as well when you revise.  Here’s what you have:

In [[this passage , called]] ” On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author [[Combining these sentences, the whole first line could read like this: In “On the Social Media Ideology,” Geert Lovink introduces us…] introduces us to the concept of ideology and how it is related to social media and technology. In this passage it [ <– use the author’s last name, not “it”] states that “To study ideology is to take a close look at this everyday life, here and now. [<– delete this period; the period goes after the parentheses, over there –>]”[space](Lovink, [<– delete comma] 19). In my opinion, [<– delete and begin with “I believe what Lovink is saying here is that…] I believe Lovink is saying…

4. A) Based on the comments and feedback I have received from my classmates and professor on my blog posts, I realized that it is important that I revise my posts before submitting them because I can make subtle mistakes that can cause confusion. I can improve my writing by using more complex words. Updating my vocabulary will allow my writing to enter the college level. Also, when I am quoting a statement from a passage I should utilize the temples for introducing a quote and explaining a quote because my explanations seem a little rudimentary.

B) In the passage called “On The Social Media Ideology” by Greet Lovink, the author explains his concept of “Ideology” and how it relates to social media. The passage states “Network technologies are rapidly becoming “New Normal” , withdrawing their operations and governance from view” (Lovink 6, Pg 18). In other words, Lovink believes society is entering a new era where people are distracted and blinded by technology and social media. The government is able to govern through social media and hide behind social media from the reality of the real life conflicts in this world. I think the word “Ideologyly” describes going from reality to fantasy. For example, people use social media to do and say things they would never do and say in real life. Lovink uses the terminology “Ideology” to describe the transition from one era to another.

1. Glad that you’re thinking of focusing more on the templates we’ve been looking at for how to work with quotations, Justin.  I find them helpful for dealing with quotations, which can be quite challenging.

Here are some suggestions for working with your current quotation; please revise!  You write:

In the passage called “On The Social Media Ideology” by Greet Lovink, the author [To be more concise, we could begin this sentence like this: In “On the Social Media Ideology,” Geert Lovink explains…] explains his concept of “Ideology” and how it relates to social media. The passage states [insert comma or the word “that”] “Network technologies are rapidly becoming [missing word] “New Normal” , withdrawing their operations and governance from view” (Lovink 6 [[, Pg 18]] [ <– you just want to have the author’s last name, a space, and a number here, so I would just use the original page number—6—and get rid of the stuff I’ve double-bracketed] ). 

5. A) Reflecting on Online Feedback from Classmates (& Me)

Some of my strengths in my writing are that I am coherent and concise, and usually have good points to talk about. However, I do have a tendency to under-write, which could be improved by fleshing our my ideas a little more. Also, I sometimes have a one-track mind when it comes to my ideas, and I really need to open my perspective to see other points of view.

B) Explaining Quotations with Key Words

In “The Social Media Ideology,” Geert Lovink questions whether we, as a society, have influenced social media with our current ideology, or if social media has actually become our current ideology. Lovink says “Without noticing, we have arrived at a new, yet unnamed, stage: the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology. Products and services are of course usually subject to ideology. We have learned to ‘read’ ideology into them. But at what point can we convincingly say they have become ideology itself?” (Lovink 4). The essence of Lovink’s argument is that we can no longer see the difference between the influence we have on social media, and the influence social media has on us. At what point did social media stop serving us, and we started serving it? When Lovink talks about this “ideology” that social media platforms are taking over, he seems to be referring to our ability to question the motives behind something. When saying that we had learned to “read” ideology into products and services, he means that we were able to question their purpose, their reason for existing. Why had some company/representative/celebrity endorsed this? Today, that ideology has changed into accepting social media and questioning those who are actually knowledgeable (see flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, or climate change deniers).

6. A) Reflecting on the online assignments we have been doing through the semester and the comments an feedback that I’m receiving from my classmates and the professor is that I need to give more detailed information in my writing and response so the reader can get a better an clear understanding what thoughts and views are about set topic.

B) In the reading “On the Social Media Ideology “ by Geert Lovink he describes ideology as being a “Products and services are of course usually subject to ideology. We have learned to “read” ideology into them. But at what point can we convincingly say they have become ideology themselves?.”(Lovink pg18)

Basically,  Lovink is saying that with products and services that’s being provided by and from the internet as it relates to social media and the ideas people have about the social media as a whole.  Meaning that social media is now becoming a major part of people daily routine to a where those are asking is it addictive or not. I think word ideology meaning questioning what social media is, how it effects people, the reason why people have become so addictive to and what they get out of posting on social networks. The way that Lovink  is using the term is he is asking the people who using social media to question what they gain from using social media networks and it providing services.

7. A) Reflecting on Online Feedback from Classmates (& Me)
    Looking back at some of my previous work I realized that throughout my writing I always went deep into the story looking at it from a different perspective. In regards, my first homework assignment based on the article “Art at arm’s length” written by Salz, Zean mentioned “I love the question you’ve posed for the author of the article. As someone who’s fascinated by how technology affects different parts of society (particularly education), it’s interesting to think about how emerging technologies will ultimately affect this “age of the selfie” that Salz mentions.” which makes me believe that not only do I look at articles in a different point of view but question them as I’m reading. I always ask my self the 5 W’S when reading to understand and question the reader as he/she is in front of me. What I believe my strengths in writing seem to be are focusing on detail and being precise.  A way I believe I can improve my writing is focusing on the past and present tense not mixing them up.
    B) Explaining Quotations with Key Words

In “Social Media Ideology” written by Geert Lovink the author defines and mentions the term “ideology” by saying  “one function of ideology as defined by Louis Althusser is recognition, the (in)famous interpellation of the subject that is being called upon.7 We can apply this and speak of the process of becoming-user.”(Lovink 12). Lovink agrees with the definition stated by Althusser which explains ideology is recognition. In connection to “Ideology” and “Recognition”, one must acknowledge first in order to describe a system of ideas.  

8. A) Some strengths as a writer that I have is that I am able to answer questions or I am able to come up with multiple ideas. The professor and students would tell me to explain in more details  in my writing, at times I would start of good with a good idea but I wouldn’t explain further. I want to be able to explain better as a writer for example instead of just saying a pair of sneakers. I want to be able to say a white pair of sneakers with white laces from vans. Give as much details as I can to give the reader an image of what I’m trying to say.

B) Geert Lovink is insisting that “we have arrived at a new, yet unnamed, stage:the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology..but at what point can we convincingly say they have become ideology themselves?” What he means by that is that we have reached an era where social media has become dominant in our lives and that we don’t like to admit that. Ideology for me means a theory so something that we feel is true.

9. In the article “ On The Social Media Ideology.” Lovink states that “the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology. Product and services are of course usually subject to ideology.” Basically, Lovink is saying social media is controlling our lives without realizing it. Social media also connects the world. We are all connected in one way or the other through social media. We are using platforms like Facebook, instagram, Snapchat just to measure a few. For example, the CEO of Facebook ( Mark Zuckerberg) has created a platform that we are all benefiting from. We are using this platform to connect with friends and family all over the world. We even connect with long lost friends. Even though it is beneficial to us it also has disadvantages. For instance, people use this platform to spread hate and evil ideologies. During the past presidential election, the Russia’s allegedly, hacked into social media accounts of many people. I think the definition of ideology is ideas that forms a system of economic or political theory and policy. As Lovink explains in the passage that an idea can be use to produce products and services. For example we use social media products like iPhones to communicate with people. I also learnt recently that apple will start their own streaming and television services. Once again Lovink is right when he said an idea can be use for products and services. No one knows what will come next.

10. A.
    I haven’t received any negative feedback from my peers or Street, about my writing or blog post. I have received mostly different opinions of agreements with my ideas that I presented and expressed about a text that was read, film watched, social media post/news that caught our attention or was spoke about in class. I noticed that sometimes I don’t answer Street’s question fully, due to not really knowing how to word my answers and/or not wanting to put a non-explainable answer. I do agree with what Andy said as far as learning new words and building up my vocabulary. I feel like for me to be my age I need to actually use “big”, “difficult” or “college level” words more often. Knowing the meaning of it or using context clues to figure it out is not good enough anymore. I feel like my writing is great with some minor tweaking needed here and there. My comprehension skills of the reading are tested by the questions and writing prompts and also by the text itself. The questions in open lab sometimes give me a better understanding of what I’m reading only because I’m forced to read it more than once.

B.
    In the article “On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink, Lovink states that “Products and services are of course usually subject to ideology. We have learned to “read” ideology into them. But at what point can we convincingly say they have become ideology themselves.” Basically, Lovink is saying that once the ideology of something is formed, new things come from it that wouldn’t have come about or came about some other way. Lovink goes on to use Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook) as an example of how his platform of social media became much more for the government and hackers as far as getting in people’s business and stealing people’s information. My understanding of ideology is: “ the science of ideas, or a system of ideas which form the basis of an economic or political theory and policy” (New Oxford American Dictionary). So Zuckerberg’s system of ideas to create a social media platform where old friends and disconnected family can stay in touch but needed some personal data to be sure you are who u say you are, became ways the government or the governments enemy (Russia) and hackers can steal people’s sensitive information that leads to things like identity theft, credit card scammers, phones being tapped and warrants being signed.

11.  

In all honesty, I haven’t received that many comments on my work online because my posts are usually late. I’d like to change that and be able to engage with my peers. In class however, I’ve realized that my creative work catches other attention. As a writer, my strengths come into play with how descriptive and colorful the language of my pieces are. I can improve my quotations and how I analyze them as well.

In the article “On the Social Media Ideology, Lovink explains that we have “reached the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology” (page 32).  Within the social media realm, we are coming across more and more rules and hierarchies. This presents certain ideologies, such as times to post and what. Who dictates? At first, I didn’t think of ideology as a complex term. In Through Lovink’s word choice and complicated sentence structure, I realize that it’s much more than a string of ideas.  Ideology can apply to a multitude of things and concepts, stretching from online personas to all the “ologies”.

12. Comments I have received about my writing is sometimes I am to vague when I try to get my point across. Like I can be already starting off what I am arguing about for example without even clearly stating. I feel like as a writer challenges I face is to make my point short and simple. However one of my strongsuits in writing is I am able to analyze what I read and give a good explanation to it.

In this article, called “On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author introduces the term theology and its correlation to technology. “Without noticing, we have arrived at a new, yet unnamed, stage: the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology. Products and services are of course usually subject to ideology. We have learned to ‘read’ ideology into them. But at what point can we convincingly say they have become ideology itself?” (Lovink 4). Lovink is trying to explain in this era of technology it is now difficult to identify wether we have become the technology or the technology has become us. Technology has taken over this generation that we are so reliant on it, it is hard to go without it and has become us and this generation.

13. B) In this passage , called ” On the Social Media Ideology” by Geert Lovink. The author introduces us to the concept of ideology and how it is related to social media and technology. In this passage it states that ” To study ideology is to take a close look at this everyday life, here and now.”(Lovink, 19). In my opinion, I believe Lovink is saying that ideology,  is a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy. Even though it is beneficial to us it also has disadvantages. For instance, people use this platform to spread hate and evil ideologies. During the past presidential election, the Russia’s allegedly, hacked into social media accounts of many people. .In the passage it also states that “Without noticing, we have arrived at a new yet unnamed stage: the hegemonic era of social media platforms as ideology.'(Lovink, 18). In other words, Lovink believes that social media is what ideology is today based on our culture and technology advancing.