13.1 Expanded Research Article Summary

Over break, please expand your summary of your research article.  I’d like you to post the 3 paragraphs described below by our next class (Tue. 11/28):

1 paragraph summarizing at least 3 points/key terms from the article and including at least one quotation with accompanying explanation

1 paragraph narrating a specific experience you’ve had that connects to your research article

1 paragraph explaining how 1+ idea(s) from your research article connect to 1+ idea(s) from one of our assigned readings (from one of the packets)

Please read: “The Space Between Mourning and Grief,” by Claire Wilmot.

13 thoughts on “13.1 Expanded Research Article Summary”

1. While this is a tiresome task that takes away the time we should be using to work on our essays ( no offense really meant just saying ), I will do my best to elaborate on what I told about my essay…So as I said before my essay is inspired from that Sherry Turkle article, ” Romance ” from eons ago. The parts where she talks about ” The Nothing Gambit ” where Hannah goes on about what you should and shouldn’t do when someone doesn’t reply to your text messages, ” What Just Happened ? ” + ” Old Phones ” with Tessa and Adam where they were have problems communicating due to online lovers. Basically I decided to research ways the internet has destroyed relationships.

Using articles I found on the Cuny library website I intended to do a research essay giving the ways people have messed up their romance due to internet use. Here are some of the articles I chose: ” Cheating By Chatting by Avila Mileham & Beatriz Lia, ” Let’s talk about sexting, baby: Computer-mediated sexual behaviors among young adults ” by Michelle Drouin, Kimberly N. Vogel, Alisen Surbey & Julie R. Stills, ” Love 2.0: A Quantitative Exploration of Sex and Relationships in the Virtual World Second Life ” by Ashley John Craft and ” Cheating, breakup, and divorce: is Facebook use to blame?” by Clayton RB, Smith RJ & Nagumey A.

Using these clips I can give evidence on how scumbags cheat on their spouses or do secretly vicious things that show they are taking love for granted when they should try to be the decent people from the 20th and 19 centuries. Nowadays people are incapable of behaving themselves, they think getto is fashionable and something to be proud of. But today’s society is becoming more difficult while uplifting low moral standards. For example: I am sick ( literally disgusted ) with seeing guys who can’t pull up their pants [ I got moonshined on the train just last week and I talking his full ass was showing and is wasn’t
    even clean ], I’m sick of the nasty ” sexy ” talk people just say without any regard towards to normal joes next to them, tired of listing to just plain stupid conversions going on between overly energetic males who should be more focused on improving their IQ.

My essay will talk about how people intentionally ruin their love lives by doing the wrong thing online but get busted because just maybe there is some karma in the world that rightfully punish lowlives and those who unintentionally ruin their love lives through online use.

1. Professor Street while writing my essay I developed major writer’s block and I have decided to use ” Weiner’s Woman ” by Susan Jacoby. I’m writing only about sexting and it’s affect on the modern world. When I read my work, I realized i was all over the place without even having a clear point. Going to try harder

1. I’ll send you my draft through your email with the share open so you can edit. Sorry Mr. Street, I’m not good at breaking things down but I would like your input, though my brain may make me do my own thing. I will do my best

1. Thanks, Maya–I think that you have a great start with your initial response to this prompt. With a bit of editing, what you’ve posted can be used in your Essay 2. And I think that “Weiner’s Women” is one of our assigned readings that is very relevant to your topic–great choice!

2. In “The Internet Made Me Do It”: Social Media and Potential for Violence in Adolescents by Gansner, Meredith two Wisconsin preteens who had lured their best friend into the woods and stabbed her 19 times. When asked why, these girls reported that the internet meme “Slenderman” drove them to do it. Slenderman is a fictional supernatural character that originated as a creepypasta Internet meme created by Something Awful forums user Eric Knudsen (also known as “Victor Surge”) in 2009. The Slender Man commonly feature him stalking, abducting or traumatizing people, particularly children. There is limited research to indicate that an increased number of hours on social media correlates directly with aggressive behavior, but there is literature that connects certain types of internet use to increased aggressive behavior. Teenagers who spend hours “liking” their friends’ pictures on social networking sites may be significantly more likely to have other traits associated with violent behavior aside from their internet habits.
    Furthermore with this article I known a couple people who have became aggressive with people through the internet that they have lured them into meeting up to want to fight. Social media is a big thing now and people feel because its their page they can write anything on their page whether its degrading other people or applauding others. So this girl on Facebook go by the name”Cheeta” I always see her name on my timeline, she is just extra and she always in arguments with someone. One day a video got posted on the internet with her in it, there was another girl as well who approach her about the things she been saying on the internet. During this video they ended up fighting. Cheeta got beat up and every since then she calm down on social media. This was a good case of cyberbulling who got served.

3. In the Article “Anonymity, Privacy, and Security Online,” by Lee Rainie, one of the paragraphs states how most people do not think it is possible to be completely anonymous online, though a healthy minority believe they can be totally hidden. “37% of online users says they thought it was possible to be completely anonymous, on the other hand, 59% said it was not possible. My vote would be leaning towards the 59%, although I do believe it is possible but extremely hard. Another key point the article also points out is the difference between men and women as participants in its surveys. “Women were more likely than men to say it is not possible to be completely anonymous online.” The article also writes about the concerns regarding personal information online. In the article, it states that the level of concern is growing as more and more people depend on the internet for their jobs.
    Based on what I wrote for blog 12.2, I’ve stated how I’ve experienced first hand on how easily it is to have your account overtaken by someone, proving how vulnerable we all are if we make a small mistake using electronics. Furthermore, my experience connects with the article’s point on “21% of online users have had an email or social networking account overtaken by someone.”
    Based on what I’ve been writing, I want to connect the idea of our online identities to our safety and privacy online. Which directly links to the article “Identity in the Age of the Internet”
    Social networking accounts, such as (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat) can compromise our personal information. It can be as simple as just having a casual conversation with someone you vaguely know, and we subconsciously give out personal information, such as tweeting “Going to the bar at XXX location!”

4. In the article ” Privacy is not the Antidote to Surveillance” by Felix Stalder, the author, to begin with , explains the process by which our personal data are collected and stored. According to him “we live in a surveillance society” therefore we can’t escape from being controlled, because whether its online or offline, from our purchased to our locations everything is linked to our names and stored in databases. The article also says, having access to many data is synonym to power. The more data you have the more you can influence people and changed their behavior. Marketing and the governments are good examples that tend to manipulate customers on one hand and citizens on the other according to their plans. In addition, the author also states, what makes the problem more complicated is the fact that in some cases we want “them” to know our personal information, because for him “Complete absence from databanks is neither practical nor desirable.” Many of us purchase things we don’t really need these days based on notifications received from Amazon, Groupon or other websites. I guess the Marketing or these credit card companies show how our personal informations are being used against us.
    This article is somewhat related to the article ” We’re All Being Mined for Data” by John Naughton. They both lay emphasis on the ways we are being controlled and manipulated. Furthermore how big data is today power and the new currency.

5. Preying on Lonely Hearts: A Systematic Deconstruction of an Internet Romance Scammer’s Online Lover Persona by Tan Hooi Koon and David Yoong really explains or better yet shows how the victims of Online Romance and the Predators interact with each other and how it affects them both. It gives a Statistic Evidence as to the aftermath of same online relationships and also takes us through different point of views. And lastly it highlights the effect Internet Addiction have on people .

Similar experiences in this case had become pretty normal nowadays. I met a girl online, new to the city and she seemed kind and genuine but mind you I haven’t seen this girls face as yet and I’m saying all these things. Trust played a big role in this so one day we decided to meet in Brooklyn. Crowded area with a lot of commercial places plus she brought a friend, after that we went on more and more dates , facetime, you name it. I caught feelings for her but she still saw me as her friend really. After like a year I came up with the courage to tell her and turned out she felt the same.

” Identity in the age of the internet “, this article really relates to the article I’ve chosen because social media has the tendency give us a medium through which to hide from face to face contact and this links some what to the article ‘Preying on Lonely Hearts: A Systematic Deconstruction of an Internet Romance Scammer’s Online Lover Persona’.

6. In “Sexting and Sexual Relationships Among Teens and Young Adults” by Lori Henderson and Dr. Elizabeth, present a study of age groups that participate in sexting; in this group each participants answer questions to who they are sexting and why do they do it. At the end of the study “two thirds ” of participants sent nude or semi nudes of themselves. Also, nearly ” half of the participants sent them to their boyfriend/girlfriend, while 15% sent them to someone they only knew online”. To answer the question to why the participants did it… easy.. just to be “sexy or to initiate sexual intercourse”.
    Now that I’ve sexted may be a bit to personal to describe in detail on here but I will not lie I have done it, and it is the weirdest thing to ever do; and only people who are brave and not scared of being exposed would keep on sexting.
    In the humanistic psychological theory diagram third level shows: Love/Belonging. Which says that us humans need to feel satisfied and wanted by others, but is sexting the only option? no it’s not. Although we haven’t read the article we have seen the film Her by Spike Jonze, Theodore (main character) falls in love with an AI named Samantha although they do not text each other what they want they call through online, making him want more from her and she to him.
    In conclusion, WHY NOT WAIT FOR SOMEONE YOU REALLY WANT AND IS RIGHT IN FORNT OF YOU?!

7. (this is actually what i meant when i said stop being lazy and get things done in my to-do list. What a great relation to put in my essay eh?)

In “Decision-Making for Risky Gains and Losses among College Students with Internet Gaming Disorder,” by a multitude of authors some being Yuan-Wei Yao, Pin-Ru Chen, and Song Li discuss the topic of how much of an influence is internet gaming addiction on one’s decision making in terms of how frequently people tend to lean towards a risky decision or a safe one. The authors observe that there is some factor that comes into play when it comes to decision making and people with internet gaming addiction. Indeed, this is true in the fact that people with internet addiction tend to make worse decisions rather than safe positive ones. In addition, the authors proceed to mention that In a study to test this theory they used college students without a prior history with drug use or psychiatric or neurological diseases. Drugs have a tendency to also impact decision making so the theory would require people without a history of drug use in order to properly be evaluated. Furthermore, the students were tested under a program called cup task in order to evaluate the likelihood of them making a risky decision or a completely safe one. Adding on, It turned out that most of the evaluated students went with the riskier decision more often than a completely safe one.

Researching a sensitive topic such as this I can relate to the students who participated in the study. Often I find myself making quite risky decisions when it comes down to doing something rather then tending to work. A prime example would be English and how I’m writing this in the latest possible moment. In addition, I always tend to clutch the last possible minute and get work done which is one of the very reasons I tend to make the risky decisions I always do when deciding over work and games.

The similarities between this study and the though of the internet at a whole different level. The concept of internet addiction has proven itself to be quite, well, normal. According to Christopher Lane’s article “Addicted To Addiction,” he quotes a man by the name of Mark Bittman on his very sarcastic comment on Internet Addiction. The whole premise of the article is the idea that internet addiction has become so common that it’s considered normal in this day and age. Although that may be true, the point I see within these two articles is that things such as internet addiction and internet gaming addiction have become so common that as a whole we’ve come to terms with this. The idea may be off the mark but going back to the example if myself I still manage to get things done being the lazy bastard that I am and do see the faults in this lifestyle but continue to make risky decisions such as turning blog post in at the very last minute but as long as it continues to work and it seems like i’m not the only one getting things done under the same circumstances. People will continue to live this way weather we have proof of it hindering our decision making or not. Hence, why this topic seems to have peaked my interest and Is the topic I chose to research. How much does internet gaming affect one’s decision making skills?

(Honestly…I had no idea where I was going with that last paragraph,,,If you could kindly help with that or even give me a proper article to connect this with since I’m pretty much dead right this very moment, Any ideas would be appreciated)

8. The article that I found explaining my research topic says that the traditional way of grieving for a loss one is switched from being private to it being placed out on social media. Strangers who aren’t even apart of your family or even friends can learn about your private issue. People who put their loss ones on social media create more grieves because their are exposed to death when it’s out publicly. Placing your grieves and mourning on social media has become a norm in society.

When I lost a good friend of mine it was pretty hard to deal with because it happened unexpectedly. Just the other day we was playing ball in the park and having a good time. What took me by surprise was that I found out about his death while being on Facebook. I didn’t want to learn about my friend death through someone who really didn’t know him. I didn’t like the fact that they were posting about my friend even though they didn’t know him.

In the article by Claire Wilmot ” The Space Between Mourning and Grief” it explain the story of a girl who lost her sister and the death of her sister was put on social media. She also didn’t want strangers to her sister posting about her death when in reality they didn’t know her at all.

9. In the article “Mining the mobile life” by Christopher Mims, he mentions several important key points to my research question “can we mitigate the effects of data-mining”. These are the 3 important key points I’ve found in this article.

-Smartphone penetration allows companies like Google, Apple, T-Mobile, etc to access our data, therefore allowing the ability to accurately predict where we are going.
    -Smartphone penetration allows companies to accurately predict who we’re talking to like family members, co-workers, etc
    -These giant companies have already started to sell our information, however, in a slow pace to avoid consumer backlash.

1 experience I have with this is whenever I download an app from the play store//app store. The app always asks for my permission to access certain parts of my phone like storage, applications, camera, microphone, etc. This gives me an indication that my data is never safe as long as I have the urge to use the internet for anything

I can connect this article to one of our assigned readings like “We’re all being mined for data – but who are the real winners” or “The Axieties of Big data” because they correspond with the type of research that I’m doing which has a lot to do with data mining.