4.1 Connecting and Transitioning Between 2 Blog Posts

For next week, I want you to re-read your blog posts from the past 3 weeks and choose 2 of them that you’d like to use in your Essay 1 (due next week at tutoring).  I then want you to work on connecting the ideas in these two posts, using the steps we worked on in class, copied below:

1. Write a few sentences explaining the connections and similarities between the two blog posts below.
  2. Referring to some of your ideas from #1, write a transition between these two posts so they would “flow” together well in an essay.  You will probably have to change how the posts end/begin, make a new paragraph, and add 1-2 transitional sentences.

30 thoughts on “4.1 Connecting and Transitioning Between 2 Blog Posts”

1. Whats better? Writing a blog for my english class or engaging in conversations with my family whom we’ve received from Ecuador? Definitely my english blog.
    As I mute their loud mouths and re-read my blogs I was intrigued at the similarities of two blogs. Our first blog, your phone as a self portrait and the second is, your online identities. Not sure if I was connecting to this post because I didn’t want to engage with Spanish novels nor know about who’s messing with the next door neighbors wife or I legit found similarities in the post itself.

A reasoning to its similarities within these two post is that they both consist of social media, using technology to escape the real world (as i’m doing right now) and representing your best self to others behind a phone. Within technology we manipulate ourselves from imperfect to perfect in just a matter of seconds. Transitioning from your phone as a self portrait to your online identity will follow with not having a phone won’t give you the opportunity to express yourself on the web. Elaborating these two blogs in an essay will bring older generations to a better understanding of the millennial times.

1. This line is a keeper (use it when transitioning in your essay!):

“they both consist of social media, using technology to escape the real world (as i’m doing right now) and representing your best self to others behind a phone.”

2. In the assignments when we did our online identities and the self portrait of our cell phones, to me they correlated together. this is because when i wrote about how my phone was a self portrait of me i expressed how i used my phone and how my apps were used and even how i use the internet on my phone like browser history and stuff. as for the online identity i swayed away from my phone and social media and talked more about how i am as a person on my play station, communicating with others and how i use my social media. the similarities between the two is that both had incorporated how we use technological devices. it was to show how “we” as in everyone in our class are affected by technology in this age of era. For me i am more of a gamer then someone to be on social media all the time. in a sense though it kinda could fall in the category of social media because it is a type of communication through the use of technology. overall in this new generation of what older people would call us “millennials,” younger people crave that use of technology and rely to much on it.

1. A good line to work with in your essay is this one:

“For me i am more of a gamer then someone to be on social media all the time. in a sense though it kinda could fall in the category of social media because it is a type of communication through the use of technology. overall in this new generation of what older people would call us “millennials,” younger people crave that use of technology and rely to much on it.”

3. The first blog assignment, ” Self-Portrait ” and the third assignment, Your Online Identities were basically Professor Monroe asking the same question, ” who are we ?” It was his way of learning about his students more. Through one’s first impression a person can get a feel of who they are dealing with, making the participators no longer strangers. I was born into this generation ( in truth I’m probably the youngest person in the class ), so I’m really hip to todays technology and luxuries. I love my Xbox One, my phone and my computer, I use them for all sorts of reasons both pleasure ( not anything dirty ) and business. But my tech is a part of who I am but like it’s become a permanent part of world. So being in a class with so many older people who know stuff that I’ve never heard of before is in all honesty a bit intimidating. But as I’m determined never to fail, especially since English has always been my best subject, I intended to do my best. I want to be someone who can make positive contributions to the world, someone who thanks to her awesome job can pay back all the kindness her mother, grandmother and older sister gave to her while they raised her and someone who can live a life she can be proud of. The first 3 blogs wanted to know how we and the people around us use technology, but as things progress, it’s everyone’s hope that all these changes are for the better.

1. Maya, this passage could work well in your essay:

“I was born into this generation ( in truth I’m probably the youngest person in the class ), so I’m really hip to todays technology and luxuries. I love my Xbox One, my phone and my computer, I use them for all sorts of reasons both pleasure ( not anything dirty ) and business. But my tech is a part of who I am but like it’s become a permanent part of world. “

4. The blog posts that I have chosen are from the assignments “Quoting and responding to Turkle’s essay” and “online conversations.” the reason that I chose these two blog post is because of the connection between me and Adam. After receiving a call from someone that was important to us both Like him who received a call from his girlfriend, I received a call from my uncle which left us both with a feeling, which in the passage has left “Adam feeling bereft and then angry,” and me happy and motivated.

“the call leaves Adam feeling bereft and then angry. He writes Tessa an email to tell her that what she is asking for would destroy any relationship. “I said that when she doesn’t get what she wants she’s petulant and childlike. Which is damn true… But I didn’t call her and say, ‘Hey, I want to talk to you about this.’ Why didn’t I level that charge face-to-face?” the point that Turkle was trying to make in this passage was that the “media” serve as an easy/quick way to deal with our problems, the fact that Adam didn’t have the courage to talk to Tessa “face-to-face”. A similar example, was when I received the call from my uncle who I have not spoken to for a while. I have been thinking about maybe, joining The NAVY And the fact that he was a major person which in the past have played a major part of my life I couldn’t gain the strength to tell him face to face because just like Adam I didn’t want to get a reaction which I wasn’t prepared for. and so it was much easier for me to tell him through the phone.

1. Leah, this whole post could work well in your essay, but can you be sure to re-read it to make sure all of it makes sense?

I’m confused here:
      “just like Adam I didn’t want to get a reaction which I wasn’t prepared for. and so it was much easier for me to tell him through the phone.”

Can you explain what you mean a bit more and possibly re-word?

5. As I’m re-reading my blog posts from the past 3 weeks, I feel like all the posts are connecting to the idea that I’m going to write. It is hard to decide, but I think maybe “quoting and responding to Turkle’s essay” and “self portrait of our cell phone” are more connected to who am I as a person and how are they connected to the real world. In the “quoting and responding to Turkle’s essay”, I personally think I am the type of person as Adam. In reality, I don’t know how to express myself correctly. But, online has provided me more confident and time to express myself freely and comfortably. However, compared to “self portrait of our cell phone”, the appearance and inside apps we use have demonstrate our interests and who you are as a person.

6. Its hard to narrow the similarities of the 2 blogs because they all are meaningful one way or another. I believe the 2 that actually transition into one another id the self portrait and your online identities. These are like one into the other. They both show who i’am in growing up since I became apart of the social media world. In self portrait i was young and was still learning of who i am, i was trying to find self identity, by the time self identity rolled around I have found myself I mean I will always transition and grow threw out life but i’m happy of who i’am and becoming.

1. April, I could see this part being edited, expanded upon, and used in your essay:
      “They both show who i’am in growing up since I became apart of the social media world. In self portrait i was young and was still learning of who i am”

7. I think the first and third blog are pretty much the same questions but asked in different ways. The key words in both blogs “self portrait” and “identity” are somewhat similar. They both lay emphasis on the way our phone represent our sense of self, and also the way we identify with it through social media. There are many aspects that make them similar to each to. For instance in the first blog I described my phone as who I am” From the wallpaper to the apps i believe you can tell the type of person I am”. In fact the many ways I use it, depending on which app I am using creates my different identities in the world of technology . I am like one actor playing different roles in the same movie. That’s how I see it. In other words my phone allow me to behave differently. What my phone represents for me, how I use it are the main ideas represented in those two blogs.

1. This passage could be edited and expanded for use as a transition in your essay, Ibrahim:

“both lay emphasis on the way our phone represent our sense of self, and also the way we identify with it through social media. There are many aspects that make them similar to each to. For instance in the first blog I described my phone as who I am” From the wallpaper to the apps i believe you can tell the type of person I am”. In fact the many ways I use it, depending on which app I am using creates my different identities in the world of technology . I am like one actor playing different roles in the same movie. That’s how I see it. In other words my phone allow me to behave differently. “

8. The two blog posts that I feel like have the most comparison are the Online Identity one and the one where I had to explain and post a little part of a conversation that i’ve had with someone. I feel like they have similarities because in my post of my conversation I am arguing with a man on playstation who i thought was a boy and it connects to my post about online identity because in that post i talk about how nice I am and how i try to portray myself with my online accounts.( specifically my playstation account )

“On the other hand when it comes to my gaming identities I usually go for something that makes me sound like a pro at whatever I’m doing ( which i am). ” This is how i view my self when it comes down to my playstation online identity and if I consider myself a pro that means i don’t like to lose. A moment where i lost and it was because of a teammate doing bad i lost my cool because a pro doesn’t lose. I stated, ”
    Me: ” Yoo what the f*** are doing my guy”
    Him: ” Shut the fuck up”
    Me: “Get better at the game ”
    Him: ” Shut up, that why I got your girlfriend texting me right now”
    Me: ” Bro you probably like 11 years old, you can’t even handle stuff like that lol ;)”
    Him: ” Yeah I can bc i handled your mom”
    Me: ” Watch your mom lil boy”
    Him: ” I’m 25 stupid”
    Me: ” damn”.
    This shows how i lost my posture when i lost a simple game and how it connects both of my post.

1. With a good deal of proofreading, most of this post could work well in your essay, Chris. From your first paragraph, I’d build on this part:
      “in my post of my conversation I am arguing with a man on playstation who i thought was a boy and it connects to my post about online identity because in that post i talk about how nice I am and how i try to portray myself with my online accounts.”

9. Transitioning from a old phone, old apps, and from your old self all relate because the same way you upgrade your phone you upgrade the apps you use and what you post on them. The same as with yourself you mature as you get older, looking and acting different not doing or having the same abilities or you used to have. And thats why your phone being a self portrait of you and your online identities correspond with each other because it shows the the evolution of yourself and how you adapt to the new ways of social media and how you view it.

10. The two blogs which connect to one another is the self portrait and your online identities. The self portrait of your phone shows the apps that are apart of your life and that interest you. For example someone might have an app for the bible because of their religious belief. The online identities shows how you interact with others and conducts oneself on social media. The similarity between the two involve on what they do on their phone. It allow us to become whoever we want to be ” kinda like your dreams.”

1. This part works well as transition material:

“The self portrait of your phone shows the apps that are apart of your life and that interest you. For example someone might have an app for the bible because of their religious belief. The online identities shows how you interact with others and conducts oneself on social media. [I cut out this sentence.] The mobile phone allows us to become whoever we want to be ” kinda like your dreams.”

11. I really enjoyed writing about how much my phone means to me, I think that the topic made me think more in depth as to what my phone symbolizes. This topic is similar to the topic about online identity, both ideas are similar because they both have something to do with being online and technically hiding behind a screen.

In today’s world, we need our phones and in the post I made earlier I talked about how my phone symbolize me as a person, talked about the phones appearance and linked it to how I keep myself and the apps on the phone that share mutual interests. In the second post I talked about how we hide behind our online identity, both topics can be linked due to the fact that everything revolves around our phones, we talk and meet people on our phones, entertain ourselves with it and the most important fact that the phone eliminates face to face contact.

1. Lots of good material here, Sean–it’s up to you how to use in your essay. A particularly decent pair of passages to use:

“In today’s world, we need our phones, and [cut] our phones also symbolize us as people.”
      “everything revolves around our phones, we talk and meet people on our phones, entertain ourselves with it and the most important fact that the phone eliminates face to face contact.”

12. A behavior I noticed that connected almost all of my blog posts (one unposted due to unfortunate technical difficulties) was the usage of a phone as a tool. As simple as the idea that phones are tools is, I thought it wouldn’t be a common thought to have while actually using a phone. I know that’s definitely not a thought that crosses my mind when, for example, I’m late to class and use my phone to double check my schedule. The rush that comes with tardiness fixates your mind on trying to be on time, which would obviously overpower the fact that you just used your phone as a tool because who has time for that. Right? ( :’) help me) The blog posts I thought represented this idea best were “2.1 Writing as recording: Observing People Interact” and “3.1 Online Conversation”

My Usage of the Blog Posts:

In my own life I’ve recently recorded two instances in which one could use a smart phone as a tool. Both recalled within context of my personal narrative and rereading them made me think about the feelings associated with the way other people used phones. One example comes from my comment on Prof. Street’s blog post “2.1 Writing as Recording: Observing People Interact” where I write about a moment in my day at Pelham Bay Park; Where I describe interaction between, what I believe to be, a mother and a daughter. I begin by typing “They keep showing each other their phones and the older one seems to get increasingly angry with each showcase of the younger ones phone. They separate and they both get on their phones the older one for a call and the younger one presumably Snapchat.” I then go on to mention that “the older woman hangs the phone up and they are joined by 5 people 2 elderly women, 2 men and a small boy. The original older woman shows signs of relief as she rushes towards them with a smile on her face. The young woman seems to be unaffected and still on Snapchat.” From my initial assessment of the situation I noticed how the mid aged woman’s mood evolved with each time she utilized a phone, whether it was her daughter’s or her own. The manner in which it evolved led me to believe she was worried about whether or not the guests she expected to arrive at her barbecue were going to arrive. So she first used her daughters phone to check what I believe to be texts coming in from the guests. She gets angrier as the updates come in which leads me to believe she doesn’t like what is being said. She then uses the tool that is her phone to call and check what was taking the guests so long after she finished assessing the grill. In this example we also see the young woman using her phone as a form of distraction from what I assumed an event she didn’t want to attend. Another example comes from what I remember of what would’ve been my response to Prof. Street’s blog post “3.1 Online Conversation” which got lost with a random refreshing of the webpage; which I did not request. It begins with 10 lines of text between me and a friend I labeled J.

In case you’re looking for the rest I stopped here for comment length happy to share the written form. P.s. Thinking about printing now.

13. im tired….by the way..err..monroe. Just a quick question, am I still getting full credit and all even though I’m posting this at the time you see? I mean..I posted one at a similar time and it was chosen for me to read aloud…sooo….Just a tad curious. I suppose I could speculate an answer if you answer my question at the beginning of class.On to the blog now.

The two blog I chose were 3.2 and 3.1. The connection between them is similar in the fact that I stated I was speaking to a good friend as one would assume I know personally which is in fact true. As where I stated in the other blog how things such as relationships online have a big impact on ones face-to-face communication. They were both online and the fact that it went completely differently with people who talked to strangers they’ve befriended and me who was talking to a real life friend.

as for an actual transition, it could go somewhere along the lines of: despite the fact that an actual term has manifested on the lack of rejection and denial online has set a bad staple in the world of online dating and communication, Not simply bad in a sense of stupidity but bad in a sense that its more harmful than good. Looking at those who simply people hop online until they find the right person, the same could be said for all of them. They have a possible “lack of attatchment” as stated by Sherry Turkle in the essay “Romance”. But thinking upon the same people and everyone alike, it’s probably different when speaking to someone personal they actually know. Personally speaking with a friend of mine the fun never leaved the conversation as were always saying dumb crap and laughing as expressed by countless laughing crying emojis withing our conversation. A bond such as that can’t be shared with someone you randomly decided to message due to an app as we all know that has a high possibility of simply being a “false promise.”

14. Online identity is important to everyone, we all keep a clean image out there to show random people “who we are”, but when it comes to a one on one conversation the image may or may not change at all. online identity and online conversations are connected with each other because one leads to the other, that is, depending on the case of the person. In my case my online identity is to be kept clean and anti social when having family in social media, But if I don’t have them on a different social media I’am set to put out a goofy, social, friendly image. Online conversations can lead to many things such as: friendships, romances, arguments/enemies, acquaintances, etc. But my question is how different is it that we speak to an older person, to someone our age, to our partner? With my aunts or uncles I use short sentences and answer them politely, but with my mother I would annoy her not just for fun but because she does not answer me when needed, also, I live with my mom she is the only one who knows a bit of my online identity, unlike others who wouldn’t have a clue of the type of person I am. Texting a friend or someone who is my age would be different to parents or family or even to an older person, because every age group has there own way of communicating with each other, For example. slang, Code words, emoji texting and missing letters, But thats all because perhaps we may feel comfortable and the need to “chill” with formal words. Lastly texting our dear partners is a mix of texting your family members and group of friends your age, there is a sense of comfort and silliness that goes on when texting a beloved one, But remember a beloved one can be anyone the differences is there is a mix of politeness and silliness that goes on.

15. Well done, KM–I would suggest breaking this into multiple paragraphs (where you change topics) and going into detailed examples/stories relating to each topic (e.g., connections with family vs. “code words” online).

16. I really don’t see the similarities in my blogs, I would have to completely change one to narrow or mostly resemble the other for a smilartie. But I do believe I can use the nothing gambit with the conversation that me and my brother tend to have since he doesn’t always reply to my text