Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_OL08 | FALL 2021

Research Project Presentation-SH

My research will be focused on Design and Activism, particularly design in the 1960s during the civil rights and Black liberation movements. How design has aided movements and advancement in design can be seen now in the Black Lives Matter movement and many people’s political perspectives on America. In addition, I’d want to serve as a reference topic of Manifesto is where the artist expresses their political view. These civil rights organizations, like artists like F.T. Marinetti in his 1909 “Manifesto of Futurism,” employ design to communicate their political views.

Youtube– Final Project

Bibliography

Slides

1. Zi Hang Lian

Oh, I remember seeing yours in the In-Progress Discussion. You can find my comments there.

• Shauntaya

k

2. rahel lehar

I like your topic of design and art also being ways of visually expressing political views. Good presentation. It’d be best to record your voice in smaller segments and read slower because it was hard to focus on what you were saying. A bigger amount of text but the text was all organized well and easy to follow. I agree that different eras and events are influenced by previous events

3. SimonWill21

I like the simplistic design of your presentation along with your topic. I found the history of using Graphic Design in the Black Panther Movement from people like Emory Douglass very interesting and I was not aware of that.

4. Nicholas Albanese

I enjoyed your presentation very much and found the connection between the art of the Futurists and the Black Panther party to be interesting. One complaint I have is in your reading. Some of your slides look very cramped and filled with text. While having text is never a bad thing, too much of it can distract us from your own voice and what you’re trying to say. It also sounded like during most of the time, you were reading the text from the slides and were at a loss of what you really wanted to say. Maybe try writing a script next time so you can read from that while you go through the slides and present to us.

5. Edward Alston

I like the topic you chose and how you pointed out the connection between the different movements and the Manifesto of 1909 as well as their effects and what they stood for. Your presentation was good, the slides were simple and neat and you presented a lot of good information.

6. Ebony Star

Great topic I found your focus on Futurists and The Black Panther Party very intriguing. I never realized how influential F.T. Marinetti’s manifesto was during the Civil Rights movement. It was interesting to learn how Emory Douglas used his social responsibility to educate the black community on social issues while also delivering informing the community of useful information that helped build communities. Your presentation was interesting and well put together, great job!