Introduction

I was thinking my research project could be about design and mental health, specifically depression and how design can affect it positively and how depression has affected designers, and how design has had an effect on depression. Or even how masculinity can be toxic in the design industry and has affected it for years    

Background/Review of Literature

While I was doing some research I ran into some interior design and how it had a positive effect on the psyche and depression. Another article I ran into that interested me because it spoke about how depression had an effect on creativity mentioning one of my favorite artist, Vincent Van Gogh. The final one I had seen was how masculinity had been affecting the design industry for years.

Rationale

So I want to explore this side of design because I believe that mental health is more open to discussion than it has ever been and I’ve been interested in what type of effect it has on design and designers.

Like what effects does depression have on design and is there a focus on mental health when designing. Or is there even a section of design that only focuses on mental health? And how those designs can connect back to what we have been learning so far can be an avant-garde movement. 

Method & Design

Well I think the best method for collecting information is by surveying the internet and what type of link it finds between mental health and design. I believe I plan to be presenting a powerpoint with information that speaks to my topic. 

References

https://designobserver.com/feature/design-hates-a-depression/7757