Fall 2017 | COMD1100_LC08 | Prof. Spevack

Sound Visualizations: Phase 1

I am a big fan of 80s music. One of my favorites is “Africa” by Toto, and one of the reasons why I chose this song was because I felt like it had a very good mix of staccato beats and legato tunes. The song starts off with lots of soft drum beats along with other percussion instruments, but has this space-y melody (probably played on some type of synth-keyboard) and soothing bass strum accompanied by vocals that layer and harmonize. When drawing a visual for this I wanted to keep the feeing of having lots of different layers in sound.

Song: Africa
Artist: Toto

1. Yunis

I’ve been a fan of Garnet’s work and love how even the simplistic pieces such as this speaks volumes, I can see that there’s a fine understanding and mix between staccato and legato lines and she has a clear way of presenting it while still keeping a clear attraction throughout the whole piece.

2. shawnf01

I can see where you can get the concept behind your drawing. The image really reflected the song you decided to share. As I played the song I started to visualize the staccato and legato layout to this song.