Cooper Hewitt Trip Report

The Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum was a surreal experience in a different way. Although I’ve lost the code for the giant stylus/scanner object to collect data for certain collections, I do recall a certain number of things that stuck out to me more.

What I believe sticks out the most to me and probably to some of my other colleagues in the museum visit was the pixelated tables and the Mario timeline. It finely expresses how social and technological developments overtime gives us more freedom to do what we can, and in turn redefines our standards to higher levels. It was hard for me to not make a 144p to 4K joke when examining the chairs.

144p

720p Table

4K Table

Mario Timeline

Some other collections I found extraordinary was the Immersion Room, which allows the audience(s) to view the museum’s collection of wallpapers in an innovative and convenient way. People were also able to design a wallpaper of their own; well, more like a grand-scale repetition of the same image. There was also this sound exhibit; I’m not sure what it’s referred to exactly but it involves customizing a series of different sounds to create some sort of a rhythmic animation of some sort. Ah! I just managed to find the name of it – Hear, See, Play: Designing with Sound. Indeed, it is customizing a series of sounds for TrashBot, which defines his personality and emotions.