Hello, I am Susan Nava, A 25-year-old student majoring in Graphic Design at New York City College of Technology. I’m still researching whether I want to be an Illustrator or an Animator in the Future. I mostly love to draw Fanart, but I also like to learn new techniques, tools, and skills in Drawing and sketching or to try new things related to the Visual Arts and Design Field. In my Spare Time, I love to draw Traditional Art and learn how to draw Digital Art on my IPad. I also love playing video games a lot in my spare time, and I capture my gameplay footage and upload it on my Twitter. At first, I wasn’t sure what major I wanted to study when I first entered my Previous College at Kingsborough Community College. I was trying to get into the Nursing field at first, but I realized that this wasn’t for me, so I completely lost interest. But when I looked at Communication Design information, I discovered that I show more passion for Graphic Design to work on Illustrations or Animations as my future goal rather than becoming a nurse.

I started drawing when I was young when every kid loves to doodle in their spare time. Before a sketchbook, all I could ever illustrate was looseleaf paper with Crayola crayons, colored pencils, or markers. Now that I’m older, I could save money to purchase new art materials such as Bristol, Sketchpad, Marker Paper, fineliners, India ink, brushes, and alcohol-based markers to try out. I would create my character designs.

Making Animation was tricky for my pre-teenage to learn at first timer. Still, I never gave up on it because I remember having fun watching the hilarious old animations I drew on my Nintendo DSi by using Flipnote Studio, watching lots of animated shows/movies, and other animations from Animator Influencers on Youtube as an inspiration.Β 

Now that I’m enrolled in Communication Design at New York City College of Technology, I will look forward to learning using advanced software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Animator, or other Softwares Designers to use their techniques to work on their projects like illustration, animation, web designing, photography, etc.

Three years passed, and I was stuck on Typography, Web Design, Illustration, or Animation as my major design interests during the sophomore review. Then I realized Illustration and Animation are what I am passionate about for my future goal for my design career. I hadn’t taken animation courses yet because seats were full when I was registering in August and didn’t get a chance to take an animation course, but I would love to take them next semester in Spring 2023, and so do other illustration courses like the narrative illustration for my portfolio.