Ethics in Graphic Design Part 2

2A.) As someone who dedicates majority of her life doing creative skills such as graphic design, animation and illustration, it is important for me to browse through the web to find sources of inspiration for whatever piece I am working on. When it comes to me finding the source of inspiration, I google whatever is the subject matter and see what are all the other artists’ takes on the subject matter through their work. For other forms of creative media such as magazine page designs and magazine covers, I always make sure whatever image, music and other assets I use is credited to their respective owners in order to avoid any form of infringement that will cause my creative career to end.

2B.) I took a glance at the case study regarding Shepard Fairey with the HOPE poster. Upon further analysis, it was revealed that not only Fairey used a photograph of Barack Obama without permission from The Associated Press, he tampered the evidence to hide his own mistakes. As a result, he was fined with a huge sum of money along with probation. This incident highlights as a milestone for being one of the most prolific copyright infringement cases in the graphic design industry. With that case study in mind, it gives me and the other designers a major reminder that we must always give when credit is due, especially for a photograph that is not intended to be used royalty-free. Copyright infringement is the last thing any designer will want to experience in their creative career, so to avoid the worst case scenario, I always make sure to give when credit is due when I use an asset (photo, clipart, music, etc.) that does not belong to me and to make sure if that asset can be used for commercial use royalty-free.

Reference(s):

Shepard Fairey is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in “HOPE” Poster Case: https://archive.nytimes.com/artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/shephard-fairey-is-fined-and-sentenced-to-probation-in-hope-poster-case/

HOPE Poster Case Study: https://bbhosted.cuny.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-73245777-dt-content-rid-561964855_1/xid-561964855_1