Personal Design Style

Author In The Graphic Design Industry 

To be an Author in the design field has become a very popular term according to the book Graphic Design Theory. What and who exactly is an author? is the real question. What kind of people qualify to be called an author?, and how do they become one.? An author is someone who creates and owns their work, they can also be called visionary, they often do what ever they want to do to create projects, as well as they have complete creative freedom in their designs. Similar to what the book said and author is “the person who originates and gives existence to anything” (pg109), basically means the owner of their work.

After reading the book I have a better understanding of what an author is and who is an author. I believe that many people or lets just say many designers around the world work for companies that take away their authorship of their projects. Since they work for another company and design their products they are set to loose their authorships in those creations. Even if its the smallest design with not a lot of work its still something someone created with hard work and there should be credit given to that author. I think that is why many people now a days decide to work as a freelancer because most of their creations are a touch of their own originality and creativity that none else can have.

One video we saw in class was titled Intricate Beauty by Design by Marian Batjes. Her major design are visually appealing because of the elements she uses to create them. She often said that she follows her heart, interest and doesn’t let her ego go in between to create work that is satisfying. She works with unusual materials to create something unexpected such as sugar, macaroni, etc. She is very interested in wonder and most of her work shows that interest. I believe she has a good point when she says that she works and follows her heart because major ideas are said to come from the heart and those ideas can be very appealing out of the norm.

She calls herself a Graphic Artist and she wants to inspire other with her work. She wants to be seen by others as an examples of owning their own technique and using objects not so common as of now. I believe she is an Author because she owns her work and she has a good reason to why she has done it. She basically takes her every day life and uses it to come up with a design.

After watching the video I was pleased to get to know a very talented artist. I admire her work and the ability she has to produce those types of designs. Like she said it herself, most of her work comes from her kitchen table and she is able to put that into work. I think she is very inspiring because she believe she can inspire others to pursue the same career and have similar abilities to produce design pieces.