Abstract: Es Devlin, Stage Design

Abstract: Es Devlin, Stage Design

Es is a stage designer who uses he skills creating sets for concerts, operas, play, and runaway shows using light, film, sculpture, and even rain. In the movie Abstract Es starts off by showing us how her everyday life starts with. I agree with her when she explains how everything starts in a blank piece of paper. Ideas come and that blank paper will soon be full of ideas to take for a certain project. She also explains that she sits with either the director, the artist or another person involved in the set.

I had never really payed much attention to stage design and after watching her it became something I will be looking forward to seeing in concerts, plays, etc. I find it to be very challenging to be able to promote emotions through sets as well as help the artist portray their emotions to the viewers.

In order to create the sets Es uses her own abilities as a painter and sculpture. She doesn’t need to get expensive equipment when she can do it herself, something similar to arts and crafts. I believe she is able to do this because she comes from a talented family. Her mother gathers around junk that looks very interesting , paints it and uses it for the house as well as her father is a crochet  knitter and has created very interesting pieces.

I think the way she plays with light and boxes is very amazing and only her will be able to do something like that. She even used rain in one of her sets which helped out the event happening because it adds major emotions and feeling the viewer can feel. She says, “they enjoy the way that they are revealed and concealed” meaning how she is able to play with light for when sets plays for actors. She has also waked with famous starts such as Beyonce, Jay Z and Kanye West. These artist had seen what her talent is and they wanted some replicas of what she had done in the past.