• Definition of a complex number
• Real and Imaginary parts of a complex number
• Complex conjugates
• Product of complex conjugates: Theorem: (easy to prove).
• Division of complex numbers (rationalizing the denominator really)
• New topic: quadratic equations and the Zero Product Property
Zero Product Property: If AB = 0, then either A=0 or B=0.
• Make sure that you have activated your Piazza account! If you are not sure how to do this, email me!
• Review the material and examples we discussed in class. You may also need to review factoring polynomials and the ac method: I will post some more links on this blog when I have a chance.
• Do the WeBWorK assignments, due by Sunday midnight, but don’t wait to the last minute!
• Also do and check (per my Course Policies) the following problems from the textbook. You may put one of these on the board at or before the start of class (Just do it, don’t wait, but also don’t duplicate another student’s problem) as part of your 10 problems:
Complex Numbers: p. 559 #77-89 odd
Also do the following that I put on the board in class:
Check the solution in the equation
Solve the equation using the Zero Product Property
Remember that if you get stuck on any of the problems or have a question about any of the material, you can post a question to the Piazza discussion board.