Class 2

Class Info

• Date: Friday, 8/30
  • Meeting Info: In-Person, Pearl 112

Topic

• The written language and origin of  letterforms
  • Intro to InDesign

Objectives

• Learn about visual communication and the origin of written communication and the alphabet.
    • WRITING 
      • Cave Paintings 
      • Pictographs 
      • Ideographs
      • Cuneiform Writing
      • Hieroglyphs 
      • Calligraphy
      • Chinese Calligraphy
      • Invention of Paper
      • Invention of Wooden characters in printing
      • other (there were other forms of writing through out the world and at different times)
    • Origin of the Latin ALPHABET and others
      • Phoenicians 
      • Greek
      • Roman or Latin
  • More detailed info can be found here: The Origin of ABC from ilovetypography.com (Summary slides below, by Prof. Giuliani)

Activities

• InDesign Demo (Click Here for Key Commands)
    • Getting to know the InDesign (when to use it, why, how to navigate)
    • Open the application either through File > New Finder Window > Applications > Adobe InDesign > Adobe InDesign OR directly from your dock.
    • InDesign allows you to set the unit of measurement of your documents. To set this for ALL new documents, click InDesign (to the left of File) > Preferences > Units & Increments. Under Ruler Units, Origin should be “Spread”, Horizontal should be “Inches” and Vertical should be “Inches”. Don’t change anything else. Hit OK.
    • There are multiple way to start a new document. Use File > New > Document (or ⌘N on your Mac keyboard) to pull up a new dialog box (a small window that appears on a computer screen to communicate with the user and get a response). Focus on the right side of the box where it says Preset Details. This is where InDesign asks YOU some questions about the document you want to create.
    • Once you click Create, your Workspace and new document will appear. You can change this view by clicking Window > Workspace > Essentials Classic (which is the recommendation for now).

To-Do After Class

• Create a new document InDesign:
    • 8.5 in x 11 in page/ .75 in margins all around /(no facing pages)
    • In preparation for Project I :
      • Write a short opinion paragraph about 4 sentences max about what, in your opinion, is the GREATEST INVENTION of ALL TIME?
        • Examples:
          • Television: I believe that the television is one of the most wonderful inventions in this world. Its really amazing how one could watch a live show on television taking place in another location. I love television and can’t imagine a world without. It’s a fascinating invention that has evolved over the years.
            —Cheniese Joseph
          • The Airplane: I think the most incredible invention known to man would have to be the airplane. The airplane was first invented and flown by the Wright Brothers in 1903 and has advanced tremendously since then. We now can literally fly around the world, making our world a globalized place. Flying allows us to see places we otherwise could not get to and saves us time traveling to the places we were always able to reach. Flying enables us to ‘book a flight’ in minutes to visit some friends or family or even flee the country! I only wish this great invention were a little more comfortable! —Robin Glieberman
      • SAVE your INDESIGN file: lastname_firstname_invention_text.indd (if you know how to take a screenshot, please take one of your work and add to Dropbox as well using the same naming convention: lastname_firstname_invention_text
    • Place in class Dropbox

Print this page

1. clarissacc67

The Greatest Invention of all time in my opinion has to be; the Creative Storytelling. Despite this not being a physical item and more so a concept, I do still feel this way of writing tat was created over 36,000 years ago in Lascaux and Chavaux, France is a good candidate, I say this because; creative storytelling is how a majority of fictional book are made, books that line the shelves in libraries and bring knowledge and new ideas to the youth. So I do feel it’s okay to say that Creative Storytelling, as a physical concept is a good invention, since its has inspired so many people, and created so many prolific writers, and amazing physical storybooks.