Chinatown

Chinatown has to be one of the best noir films in all the film’s we watched. It’s not so much because of the color, but I was more drawn into the story than previous films. Jake, the protagonists, was constantly being stopped not only by henchman, but also police investigators as well. And what a crazy twist when we found out that Katherine was Evelyn’s daughter and sister after she was slapped by Jake so many times. In the end, he ends up helping Evelyn escape with her daughter/sister but that was cut short.

I think out of all the noir film’s we’ve watched, I felt like this film took a different route than what other noir films usually do. Normally, the femme fatale is the one that pushes the protagonist into more and more trouble. They are usually the ones who are completely manipulative and selfish on what they want. However, in this film, although the femme fatale did lie Jake into trouble, the femme fatale did it for moral reasons, that was to save her daughter from her father. When Evelyn dies and you see Katherine’s father taking Katherine away, it’s like nobody won here.