Assignment 1: What I (don’t) like about science

Please write 5 short paragraphs by February 21.

1. Tell me why you (don’t) like science
    • use valid reasons → Should not write “it’s boring”, “it’s hard” or “it’s not part of my major” (this will result in a negation of this assignment)
  2. Tell me what you do like (outside of science) and why
  3. Tell me if science plays a role in your life (if at all) and what aspect of science you are interested in.
  4. Tell me why you are pursuing a degree
  5. Tell me what you think you may get out of this course. Do you think it could change the way you view the world?

Leave as a comment to this page and make sure I have a way to identify you if it is not obvious from your display name. If I can’t identify you, you can’t get credit.

While you won’t get any extra credit, feel free to constructively comment on your peers’ entries. This is an attempt to create a useful conversation so that we can all meet each others’ needs in the context of learning Biology.

17 thoughts on “Assignment 1: What I (don’t) like about science

1. 1. I don’t understand it… and the truth is I even didn’t try to do that. This bIology class is a core course, which means that majority of students are barely interested to be in a classroom. Knowing that, I believe professors shouldn’t terrify us even more with grading system, tons of expensive books, and million assignments spread out all over the internet, in addition to “naked science” which is complicated to understand. Professor is the key for us, students, to enter the world of science, and it’s his/her responsibility to deliver science to us in the most appealing form. Answering the question why I don’t like science – I’ve never happened to have a chance to be involved into it, because all my previous teachers/professors was not on the same page. They were against students, and found it pleasant to give away C’s and D’s.
    2. Typography is something what fascinates me the most! The history of it is magnificent, yet intricate: detailed oriented, politically and industrial revolution influenced, etc. The science behind each letter is fascinating: tiny details matter, and affect our perception of written information.
    3. I think science plays a role in everyone’s life. Science helps us understand things: how they work, and their limits.
    Speaking about my interest in science which is partially relates to what I do for living – molecular gastronomy. The science about physical and chemical processes which take place during coking. Molecular gastronomy deals with exploration of ingredients (flavor qualities, food texture, freeze dried food (or cosmonauts food), etc.), and techniques, such as liquid nitrogen, and pressure cooking. Combining them together, and coming up with new flavors, and flavor combinations from usual products; new looks of boring vegetables, fruits, etc.
    4. The degree is not necessary a point (this one is not the first one for me), but it’s definitely a great addition to all skills, portfolio, and connections I can get in school.
    School is a great place for experimenting, practicing, and figuring out what exactly you want to do after. I know that I always can ask professors help, and get some valuable advices: they are more then happy to help, and want you to succeed. They are people who challenge you at the very beginning of your career path, and who become your friends and colleagues later.
    5. I don’t think that this course can change the way I view the world. I know that doesn’t sound too optimistic, and I always try to find something positive in things/moments which I can’t escape. That’s why I hope that some (possibly major) part of our biology course will be dedicated to ecological and environmental issues, such as pollution, energy use, waste, etc. All that information can be incredible helpful for my future design projects.

• I totally agree with your reasons for NOT liking science. One major point you made that I have been struggling with almost as much as the work, is it being spread up, down, over, under and in every nook and cranny of the “WORLD WIDE Web.” I didn’t even KNOW we had THIS assignment. Through a lot of guessing and typing I was able to put this assignment together, but I am terrified of not being prepared due to Everything being on the Internet and very hard to find in all different places. I also didn’t even have A computer or Internet connection, so to take this class cost me about an extra $2,000 plus $35 each month, just to know the work. It’s daunting to know that if your not financially stable, you can’t learn or pass Biology. And, this may be inappropriate info, but I’m considered homeless. I’m a “couch-hopper”, so I really didn’t have that money to spend as most college students don’t, even in better situations. This “Everything on the Internet”, with no option otherwise, makes the class soo much harder and just plain isn’t going to work, it least NOT for me. And I’ve done what the Professor asked to do about getting familiar with Blackboard, it’s constantly changing and OpenLAB is Always having problems, I’ve been to the welcome center 3 times already!

• Alina, what was your evidence that previous instructors only gave C’s and D’s? Also, how do you know they derived pleasure from this (if true)?

Education should be readily available to all. It is a fundamental right to those who seek it with good intentions. The problem with books being expensive comes from the great amount of content and time expended in creating them. It also irritates me that there is abundant DRM on electronic books that end up being just as or more expensive than physical books. I wish there could be something done about this. As it stands, while the purchase of a code from a new book grants you access to the digital assets, these access rights actually expire within a year’s time! The Internet is an equalizer. It is the most disruptive technology to be popularized in recent times. Like the Gutenberg printing press, the Internet allows dissemination of knowledge like never before. You shouldn’t be discouraged by assignments on the internet. That would be like being discouraged by assignments that required you to go to the library.

I would also like to point out http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18459353. I personally loathe serifs. I don’t see the point of them.

2. The thing I don’t like about science, is mostly because I have so much trouble understanding & therefore retaining the information I’m being taught. I was home schooled and I guess I must’ve not had the best teachers because I don’t remember ANY science being in the curriculum. Being introduced into my life @ 29years old, I’m having so much trouble learning the terms and symbols etc. But how many times can the same thing be explained? If I don’t get it the 1st or even 2nd, what’s it being repeated going to do? I feel hopeless and helpless. That is why I don’t like science, especially studying it. Like my Prof. said “It’s a whole new language.”
    I have many activities I DO enjoy, and they change with the weather. There are some constants all year round though that I enjoy participating in. I am constantly w/ a book in my purse. I love to read. It makes me feel like I’m one of the characters in the book, and I experience mentally things & places that may not even exist in this world. It’s like a dream while I read. I love writing journal entries. I get to let out ALL the words and emotions I have to hold in throughout the day. It is like therapy & helps me to stay sane. One more thing I truly enjoy is Dancing. I have been in some form of Dance class since I could walk. It is also very therapeutic & kept my body in shape. Except recreationally I have stopped my classes, and I want to thank you for this question since it reminded me of something I love that I’ve been neglecting.
    Science plays a role in everyone’s life, whether they realize it, or not. From measuring how much toothpaste you’ll use in the morning, to experimenting with different routes to school/work, hopefully finding the fastest, and when you come home you also experiment with your “routine.” If you could’ve gotten more into your day, what you could’ve done different, and what should you do now that your home to still be productive before you eat dinner and go to sleep, both of which recharge you like a battery. At first when I thought about what I DO like in Science, my answer was nothing. Then I realized I don’t know what I’m thinking because I enjoy my everyday life & science is part of that so there Must be Something I LIke. If its not obvious yet, I like experimenting. Especially mental experiments. I don’t know exactly what aspect of science that would be, but I’m trying to give a very honest answer. When I think back to public school, right before my home instruction started, I loved picking out which science project I was going to do and then “being the scientist.” I’m interested in medicine and the effects, good and bad, different medicines have on not only the body, but the psyche. I also like “looking inside.” I would love to some day know how to perform a sonogram and actually do it and see a growing life inside. I find it miraculous.
    I am pursuing an education first, then I think about my actual degree. But yes, that is what I’m pursuing, and I Know why. I know an actual degree doesn’t promise anything. But, I’m hoping that a degree will help me with the knowledge I need to live MY OWN LIFE. Not to have to worry about a boyfriend or family taking care of me. I’m trying to say, I hope it helps me find a career I love and that I can be financially independent. I am also pursuing a degree so I’m equipped with the knowledge I need to go into a field where I know what I’m doing and can maybe even help someone besides myself, in any way. It may just be the right advice that will “save” them from whatever it is they need help with.
    I’m hoping I take ALOT out of this course. THIS is MY personal introduction to science, so even just learning H2o means water I’ve taken something from your class I will remember forever. Not that that’s all I’ve learned lol. But I am behind, and struggling in this course. So if I even pass this course, it will have changed the way I view the world by making me think Anythings Possible. I hope to take an enormous amount of knowledge from your course and even learn how I can apply some of it to “real life” situations. I also hope this course will help me “learn the swing” of learning science. That way I can retain the information being given and use it. Not only in this course, but in many. A funny little, well not so little thing I thought of also was that I’m hoping to take away the type of vocabulary Malina has shown in her post. If she didn’t explain what certain words meant, I would have had No Idea what I was reading about. So thanks! And I hope to meet all expectations I have for myself & you the professor has for your students.

3. 1. I have nothing against science i find it as a interesting course to take because the amount of topics that are touched in this course such as organisms, how humans plants and animals live. Plus i always gets psyched about the experiments and observations that are conducted for science. One reason i dislike science is because not a lot of people seem interested in it. Also at times i agree with @ Arielle Myers and malina i myself have a hard time understanding and retaining whats being taught in class. The terms shown in class and the different symbols given makes it hard to follow along in bio, it is “learning a new language” which am fine with but it is a slow process for myself since some of these terms i don’t understand.

2. There are many things i like outside of science my main like is Human Services. Am a big advocate on helping people on a daily bases whether i know you or not. Everyday that passes by there is always someone in need of help yet some don’t put an effort on helping the need. The focuses in this in which why am in this field is not just to help others with problems individually or group wise with there emotions or finances and to help them get back on there feet, this field also helps me get a better understanding in my life, to control certain issues with certain ways. So if anyone needs or wants help you know who to look for am very nice and understanding :).

3. Of course science plays in not just my role but everyone else s life as well. For example am asthmatic so i carry around medicine to maintain my asthma on point, now for a fact if it weren’t for scientist spending countless hours of there time at work testing and helping create medicine for many people i wouldn’t be able to be active outside playing baseball or soccer. Science has had a big role in my life because I’ve had science classes in the past so i know a thing or two about conducting small experiments i don’t know if this counts. But in general science is in my life in a daily bases because of the chemicals i also breath outside everyday, there’s always chemicals around us that are either caused by the environment or scientist themselves.

4. The degree am pursuing is Human Services, I’ve had an interest in this since freshman year of high school. The amount of problems surrounding individuals and society effects a lot of people. My initial purpose is to help everyone i can maintain themselves financially, if individuals are in substance abuse or any abuse i am willing to put my time in helping them. One thing i learned that i found weird in class was that if those entering the human services course must understand there in this course for yourself.

5. At this point am not so sure what i will get out of this course am hoping for more knowledge about life. Other than that i don’t know what else will i get out of this class.

• I find it interesting that your disdain for learning science might stem from the fact that others aren’t interested in it. I hope you take the same approach to earning the new language by practicing. Without practice, the terms will whither away inside your head.

As a behavioral scientist, I can assure you that much of helping people with their problems can often be something simple (which is very complex in reality) pertaining to Biology. Perhaps Human Services will lead to a career in Social Work. The problems you’ve indicated you are interested in helping with are themselves quite biological. Unfortunately, substance abuse is actually inherently an organic problem of the brain. While you don’t need to fix these problems through biology directly, it’s nice to understand as one could help people learn to cope with their problems. In the end, behavior alters Biology, especially neurobiology. There is an intrinsic feedback mechanism. While we don’t cover neurobiology in this course, we do provide the fundamentals towards understanding those more complex problems in other courses.

4. Michelle Bistrova

1. Science has been always something that I was interested in and fascinated by but I never actually took the chance of getting to go in depth with it. This doesn’t mean that I hate or dislike science, it just simply means that I am scared of not understanding such a beautiful and powerful study. I don’t feel credible enough to say I like science. Just because I received A’s in all my previous science classes sure doesn’t make me credible enough to say I like science. Like I said, it doesn’t mean I dislike it, either. I feel like I’m just a neutral party of science. I am fond of the many scientists that have made extraordinary discoveries that lead later scientists to more amazing discoveries, it somewhat happens to be a chain.
    2. Studying literature has been my thing since I was able to read a word from a piece of paper. Sometimes I think about where I would be and how my life would be different if I weren’t taught to read and write in my younger ages. But in this generation, reading and writing has become such a necessity, that it literally becomes difficult to live without it. How did I come about to studying literature? I don’t know. Some things that happen in a persons life, simply cannot be explained and one cannot explain the unexplainable. Literature is the sole spine of my life. I would not be as happy without it. Everyone needs something to escape to, a sort of pursuit of happiness, I’m sure many of you may relate to this. Simply put, literature is something I indulge in, and not chocolate.
    3. Science plays a role in my life all the time when I read a good piece of literature and I go into my thinking mode. When I’m in my thinking mode, I become very philosophical. Philosophy is the study of the most general and fundamental problems. Many of those problems happen to be connected with reality and existence and many more but I always specifically stick with those two problems: reality and existence. Reality may not be directly associated with science, but existence certainly is. When I think, I think about what one cherishes the the most, and that happens to be one’s existence. One tries so hard to live. One lives everyday like one’s last, because life is unpredictable. One day life is here, the other day life slips right out of our hands. When I think about this, I think about existence. I go all the way back to the many theories, like the materialistic theory and the panspermia theory where the question of life is based upon.
    4. I believe we all should pursue in a degree because we all have unique talents that shape and form the world and society. I’m pursuing in a degree because I believe I differ from the people around me, and believe I too, can contribute to the world as many others have. We all have special and beautiful talents that deserve to be shown to others but in today’s time, where is one without a degree? Not have a degree paralyzes one of reaching and showing the full potential and to get fair success. Thomas Paine had once said; “To argue with a person who had renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
    5. I get four credits out of this course, as well as reassured knowledge of natural science where which most of my thinking occurs. I do think it can change the way I view the world. With the better understanding I can possibly not look at science so bluntly. I feel as if after the completion of this course I would be able to apply what I learned about natural science to my life and how I do things, maybe I’ll do certain things differently.

• Thank you for your input and your honesty. I found it reflective. What I encourage students to do, is to explore and reintegrate the curiosity that they were born with back into their lives. I would love students to become skeptical, not out of obstinance or reaction to fear. I would love them to acquire enough knowledge to make insightful decisions. Science is built on analysis. And I hope this is what is taken out of this class. Many students react negatively to being in science classes because they assume they are bad at it. They assume they are not interested in it. We need to find ways to overcome this block. As you say education is an enabler. As Paine also said “a long habit of not thinking a thing WRONG, gives it a superficial appearance of being RIGHT, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.” I hope that students can overcome their complacency to “not like science” or “just be bad at science” so that they can navigate this course in good faith as active students.

5. 1) A science for me is very tangled world and most of the time I feel lost in it. But for being fully developed person, science is important knowledge to have. I believe science can be very useful in every person’s life, no matter if he/she is an engineer, a driver or an artist. However, I have a hard time to understand a logic part of the science, I see it as one of good challenges in my study experience.

2) I like art, specifically oil painting. I enjoy the moments when out of a blank piece of canvas I can make a piece of art. It helps me to realize my potential of a self-motivated innovator and ability to establish new projects related to my career.

3) In general, science doesn’t touch me directly. But everywhere I go and everything I use has involved science in itself. For example an Iphone, it has as much power right now as fifty years ago had first computer. And we, people never have enough of it. We always want something more and better. That’s why science helps people to progress and have better lives. Even though my career is not directly in science, I respect people who have passion in it. Without them I wouldn’t be here as I am right now.

4) I am doing my degree in Communication Design and Art, which gives me an opportunity to gain new knowledge and new skills related to my interests.

5) I find this course helpful to understand history and psychology, because it involves itself evolution and behavior, which I find very informative for my general knowledge.

1. I have nothing against science but although I do believe its a tough subject to learn. When we are little, we ask “why”. Why is the sky blue? Why can’t my fish live outside water? Good parents root their answers in science. Science doesn’t just give us answers to the Whys of our childhoods, it gives us the tools we need to keep answering them as we grow up. Science is the tool I use to understand the world around me.
    2. the things I like outside science is listening to music because its my favorite activity. Music relaxes and calms me down from a hectic day. Such as four hours of school and so much work to do, I just turn on my iPod , and it seems like time flies by and before you know it, you are done. I love R&B because it has so much feelings and you become attached to the song, as if the song was made for you. Music is a form of expression and artists often times express their feeling through song. Listening to different types of song can affect my mood. If I’m in a happy mood I will listen to Destiny’s Child “happy face” and I will be happy all day. Finally I listen to music to pass my time more enjoyably.
    3. Science definitely plays a role in my life. Today, human being cant imagine his or her life without all the many thousands of little and big things created by science in the course of millennia. Using the scientific method comes in handy in day to day living, including isolating, identifying and solving problems with cooking meals, running dishwasher etc… It has made my life easier and more comfortable. Science is nothing but a systematic way of knowledge and living. It fills me with wonder, hope and pride at what humans have accomplished, increasing life span and making that span more fruitful and enjoyable.
    4. I’m pursuing a degree in liberal arts because is more valuable than learning any trade. It’s also the best way of students to ensure they build a solid base of knowledge that will allow them to pursue a variety of academic and professional endeavors. The fact is , must students entering college are still not decided which future opportunities they hope pursue. And even for those who believe they do know, life may present options that are now unforeseeable. History is filled with stories of people whose lives took interesting and unexpected twists. A liberal arts education provides you with the foundation you need to confidently pursue the many doors that may open for you as life and it circumstances evolve. With a strong liberal arts education, students will be able to meet these challenges and opportunities with a well-rounded and mature thought process that only liberal arts can provide.
    5. I’m hoping to learn and experience new things while taking this course. I also I also hope to carry on an enormous amount of knowledge from it and apply it into my everyday routine. I find it quite helpful to understand history and make it useful in my journey.

–Edited slightly by the Professor to distinguish the sections.

6. When I was younger I actually enjoyed science especially in grade school with the cocoons and butterflies. When I got into high school the only thing I actually like was astrology astronomy learning about the stars and the moon was interesting, it helped that I had a teacher that enjoyed teaching and was interested about the topics. Yet when it came to molecules and the periodic table the task of memorization was not on my side. I still feel like with science that there is so much to take in, at such a short amount of time. As well as tons of terms to keep in memory, and I am a firm believer in studying yet I feel like I still forget things and that worries me. My goal this semester is to be completely devoted to my grades and studies, but I worry that I will slack a bit due to the work load for the biology class. I fear that studying will not help due to the difficult wording of the textbook, which is harder for to understand and relate too.

Outside of school and science I enjoy reading, movies and clothing. The clothing aspect relates to the degree I will have by the end of the semester which is Fashion Marketing.I have had a passion for reading at a young age, and I still am a devoted reader. Since high school I have had a goal to read all the American Classics, and so far I am half way there. I do see that this is a down fall for me, it makes it harder to read passages in textbooks for there is a lack of interest for me. As for movies I am one of those people that likes to read the book before the movie comes out to compare, and of course the book is always better.

As of now the only science that I am surrounded with in a sense is my job, I work at a Optical with a Optometrist on the premises. At times I find myself curious to the conditions and matters of the eye, and I do find myself asking questions to cure my curiosity. I have worked at the optical for the past two years, and it seems that I have not learned about all the things that happen with the eye. Something that really fascinates me is the power of a glasses Rx. For example, a child with a lazy eye can straighten their eye back into place when given the right prescription in their glasses.

As I had mentioned before, by the end of this semester I will have a degree in Fashion Marketing. Hopefully I will be transferring to my school of choice and pursuing a degree in Fashion Merchandising which will help me find a career in being a buyer for clothing stores. I am pursuing a career to achieve something in life as well as being successful. Also a huge reason that I want to become something in my life, is that I owe it all to my mom who has supported me with all of my decisions ever since I can remember. It would mean the world to me to provide for her as she has for me.

I hope that I take out of this course the abilities to understand and learn on a subject that I don’t have much interest in. As well as surpass the issues I have with memorization as well as understanding terms in biology. I have a feeling that by the end of the class, I might take a second look at things that are around me. Especially after seeing that video of a hawk eating a squirrel in a park in broad daylight.

–Slightly edited by the Professor

7. 1. When it comes to science and me I just don’t understand it and it’s like some information i can remember but then some just don’t stay. Also it’s mostly when copying notes and trying to listen about what we are learning that causes me to understand less about the lecture. Science has never been something i mostly been interested in even in high school. But there are some interest in science that catch my attention.
    2. What i like to do is draw and play sports. I’ve pretty much liked to draw since i was a kid. Seeing peoples smiles when they see what i can draw makes me smile and pushes me to do better. Sports right now is to cold to do so i’m hoping it starts getting warmer soon. I mostly like playing soccer, basketball, handball and football.
    3. From science comes medicine and without it i would still be having trouble breathing. Because of science i can run more and be more healthier. Also it helps me with what i should eat by the amount a person should consume when they are losing weight. Without it i would be struggling and eventually give up.
    4. I’m pursuing as my major Art and Advertisement Design. I like designing and drawing so i hope to get those improved. I also want to keep doing what i love and get a career involving this so i need to fill up my portfolio.
    5. From this course i could get some insight of the world and use them as well. Maybe with what i learn i can find helpful in certain situations. I hope to pass this course finally so i can get more classes for next semester.

8. 1.Tell me why you (don’t) like science
    ANSWER: I cant really say that I don’t like science. I just have a hard time with some of the terms and the periodic table of elements. Science use to be one of my favorite subjects. I say use to because it all depends on who’s teaching you and how well you understand.

2.Tell me what you do like (outside of science) and why
    ANSWER: outside of science I like to work a lot which is not that great considering I have a child. I also love to spend time with my child and go out and SHOPPING. I am a very simple person, I do like school, however; I don’t want to be in school forever.

3.Tell me if science plays a role in your life (if at all) and what aspect of science you are interested in.
    ANSWER: In my everyday life yes science does play a role being that our bodies are science. I may not operate as a scientist on a day to day basis but my body operates on day to day basis of science from the time you wake up until the time you go to sleep. I guess i am most into the medical/Medicine part of science.

4.Tell me why you are pursuing a degree
    ANSWER: I am pursing my degree to honestly to make a better future for myself and for my child (and Future Children). I want to earn my degree more than anything so I grow more financially, educationally and most of all as a positive example/influence upon my child.

5.Tell me what you think you may get out of this course. Do you think it could change the way you view the world?
    ANSWER: I think that I may get more knowledge on Biology and a more understanding to the terms used. Yes, I do believe that this course would change the way I view the world especially as to how to treat your body and the damages we cause to ourselves on a day to day basis, now I am not saying that I will change over night, but I will make small adjustments towards making better choices for myself and child.

Overall I really do want to learn something new from this class as well as re learn what I assume to be correct from prior learning lessons. I want to succeed but with the fact that I know I worked hard for success.

Nerissa. B
    Course Section:7924

9. I can’t really give a definite answer to whether I like science or not. I am pretty much on the fence about it. But my favorite part of science would definitely be psychology as I think it is very interested how the human mind works and why we do what we do. What I don’t like about science is the terminology as I consider it very difficult to fully understand, and to me that is what makes science a boring and dry subject. Another thing is that science categorizes everything and I don’t believe you can categorize everything because everything in life is unique and has some things that are different from others. On the other hand I do enjoy the lab as it is and hands on and it is interesting to see things that you have never seen before or maybe not even though of.
    I like design, or art in general, because every design is different from the other. It challenges me to come up with a creative solution to a problem. A problem that doesn’t have a right or wrong answer but were multiply solutions can work for one problem. I get bored pretty quickly especially if things repeat constantly that is why design is perfect for me.
    Science doesn’t really play a major role in my personal life but I think we are constantly surrounded by it whether we like it or not. Everything we know about the world is basically learned from science, even people that have some sort of religion are surrounded by science. They might not believe in evolution but there knowledge about the world is still based on science.
    Even though a degree in graphic design is not really necessary, as many employers higher you based on your portfolio and not based on your GPA or what school you went to, I think it is a good idea to get a degree anyways. There is a lot more involved in college than just getting a degree. It helps you to make connections with classmates and professors; and learn from them. You never know who you might meet and who can help you get your foot into your first job after graduation.
    Hopefully at the end of this course I will be a more well rounded person and can apply the knowledge learned elsewhere in my life in the future. I definitely think it could change my perception of the world as I am eager to learn and always open minded to new point of views.

10. 1. Tell me why you (don’t) like science
    Science is a subject that many are intimidated by because of the level of difficulty. I find that the reasons why many dislike it is because they do not appreciate the beauty of it. I personally enjoy learning about science because is about how we are born, live, and die, it explains how we are breathing this moment, what allows us to function, how we interact with the environment and other organisms, how things behave, and the list can go on to infinity. But what I most love about science is that it makes me appreciate how beautifully G-d created the world and how it functions on its own or with another organism. It does not require us to interfere and make changes unless there is a malfunction and we know who to tend to it since we are aware how it should be operating. Although I do interest science, there are certain aspects of it that I disagree with because it conflicts with my faith. For instance, I believe in the formation of the world/universe by G-d creating man, I find the evolutionary theory to clash with that (particularly when it says that all living beings emanated from a single celled organism in water). In lieu of that, I disagree with scientists claiming that the world has been existing for more than 6 million (4.6 Billion –edited by the Professor) years. According to the Jewish calendar, which starts with the creation of Adam, we are in year 5773. There are a few reasons as to why the earth’s composition is as the scientists describe, one being that during the flood of Noah the acidic rain aged the earth.
    I enjoy cooking; I like to experiment with different ethnic cuisines and nationalities. I am very also pretty quick and efficient with it; people call me the second Rachel Ray.
    I find this question rhetorical, science plays a role in everyone’s life, even in static state, and there are always reactions and functions that go on. The world runs on science and if it was removed we would not exist. I am open to all types of science, but biology is my favorite because it shows the orchestration of life’s production.
    I feel that I am a good candidate to pursue higher studies and attain a position that can help me and my family. Aside for that, I think I can contribute positively to the people with my degree.
    I hope to further advance in my understanding of biology and look at the world with a new view so I may appreciate the significance of its being. There is always something that I am new to and having a strong basis of biology will be an important asset. I can make better decisions since I will know how the environment and body works.

• Lisa, I hope you can articulate whether or not you feel that the idea of evolution through natural selection fully conflicts with your faith. There is a fundamental difference between the idea of evolution (something factual) and evolution by natural selection (a theoretical mechanism for the differences in extant taxa throughout time that is also recognized as a principle). Many people don’t understand the nuance and make natural selection (incorrectly) synonymous with evolution. As Cuvier (a noted special creationist and father of paleontology) also noted, there exists a difference in taxa in geological time. In conjunction with your faith, you would also recognize a difference between postulated antediluvian life and postdiluvian life. As we have seen, there is an abundance in examples of even natural selection shaping the world around us. Evolutionary proceses don’t equate to speciation. But we can visualize the effects through alterations in frequencies of traits. The most obvious examples come from things with very short generation times and enormous reproductive rates. We have an unfortunate abundance of pesticide resistant weeds, antibiotic-resistant bacteria and an ever changing antigenicity of flu strains on an annual basis.

11. I like science because I find it to be very interesting. It has so many dimensions and can be very exciting depending on what your interests are. There is science in everything whether it is good or bad. I also hate math and felt like science is more exciting. I am very curious when it comes to many things such as people, places, or things so science as a topic is right up my alley.

Besides science I also am very interested in Psychology because I always seem to wonder why many people behave and think the way that they do.

Science plays a role in my life when it comes to my health. My health interests me because I am determined to keep myself healthy as I get older due to the fact that it becomes difficult as time goes on.

I am pursuing a degree to further my education as well as enhance the knowledge that I already have. Being able to be happy with a career that is livable would also be nice.

What I plan to gain from this course would be a good refresher on what I used to know in high school as well as understanding the terms and concepts that I just memorized but never really understood.