Hydroponics is a subset of hydroculture and is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrients solutions, in water, without soil.
- No soil is required, resulting in less space needed to grow plants.
- Water is recycled so the cost of water is lower than traditional farming.
- Can be utilized in cities, and on rooftops.
- Plants no longer have to be seasonal, can be planted and harvested in any season.
- With out soil, there are no pesky insects or other bacteria, and therefore there is no need for the use of pesticides, resulting in healthier fruits and vegetables.
- Plants grow healthier.
- No damaging pesticides used.
- Some plants cannot be grown by the use of hydroponics (i.e. those with long roots such as the carrot and radish)
- The Startup cost for building a hydroponic system is expensive, and intense knowledge is needed to preserve it.
- With only one nutrient source, if something goes wrong, all of the plants and animals will die.(I.E. waterborne disease)
- If anything goes wrong with the watering system, plants die rapidly.
Aquaponics is a system for farming fish and plants together in a mutually beneficial cycle.
- You do not need a large space to cultivate your crops.
- No weeding to be done.
- Plenty of water yields plenty of oxygen for plants to produce a great crop.
- Can reduce growth time by half.
- To start up your aquaponics system is initially expensive.
- Checking that the climate and lighting controls are working properly.
- Some systems can use up a lot of man-made energy.
The cultivation of animals, plants, fungi, and other life forms for food, fiber, biofuel, drugs and other products used to sustain and enhance human life.
- Uses natural fertilizer such as animal waste and decomposed dead plants, resulting is healthier fruits and vegetables.
- Large amounts of crops can be grown.
- Helps keeps natural resources open.
- The use of pesticides.
- Crops take longer to grow and harvest.
- Dependent form of farming. A natural disaster such as a drought or flood could destroy many if not all crops.
- Aide in pollution.