Learning Objectives for Web Analytics:
- Implement strategies to drive traffic to a web site via link building, social media, viral content, paid advertising.
- Write appropriately for users to find their web site through search engines (e.g., Google, Yahoo!, Ask).
- Layout and design web pages to drive traffic through a web site to lead to an appropriate conversion
- Get search engines to index pages and send traffic to a website.
- Analyze where the traffic is coming from, who their users are, and the successes and failures to gain traffic and convert visitors.
I will be splitting the class into groups for an in-depth research project. Each group will examine a particular website and come up with a strategy to improve its SEO/SEM strategy.
The Big Idea behind the project:
Derive and articulate a strategy for implementing SEO/SEM for a particular website.
- Each group will choose a site they think needs SEO (search engine optimization) and SEM (search engine marketing) help.
- They will discuss amongst themselves (both in class and out) what strategies they will propose. I will emphasize that they need to take certain roles in order to capture the work being done.
- The groups will then interview people who fall within the target demographic of their site to see if their proposed changes will make a difference
- They will produce a written report (which will be shared with the class via Open Lab) as well as an oral presentation to be given in class. The oral presentation will be 7-10 minutes in length, giving each team member some time to present a part of the findings.
- Review and learn current SEO and SEM techniques
- Learn how to apply these techniques in an appropriate manner to real-life cases
- Learn how to gather evidence through research and interviews
- Learn how to work within a group
- Present findings and conclusions to a client in a professional and well-reasoned manner
- I will use a rubric to grade the individual student on the project’s learning objectives.
- I will also give the group a cumulative grade on the written report and oral presentation.