Maurine Dubuisson: Educational Narrative

Download (PDF, 88KB)

1. fatoumata magiraga

what happened in Maurine essay was that it was about school. How he really didn’t really worry about school that much during the younger years. that school wasn’t really his motivation at the time but now he realized that education is what helps you become successful in life. something that stood out to me in the essay was “Freshman year, I still had the same mindset, “just do it and complete it” It wasn’t until the end of sophomore year going on to junior year my mind and the way I viewed education completely changed.” i like this because when I started High school I had the same mindset as Maurine. I was like get good grades and finish high school strong. A question I have is when did you start realizing that education was important to you?

• Maurine

I start realizing education was important to me after I got into the program in junior year high school. It showed me how far education can take me to become successful. I learned so much in that program I am truly grateful to experience that opportunity.

2. Anaya Massiah

Maurine’s essay is about how the dental assistant program at Clara Barton introduced them to their passion and changed the way they viewed school. At first Maurine only did assignments and got through school because they had to and became further unmotivated when they got into the dental assistant program instead of practical nursing. That all changed after Maurine’s teachers and parents pushed them to get a feel for the program instead of quitting. Maurine instantly developed a passion for the program that pushed them all the way through high school and will without doubt guide them through college.

One line that really sticks out to me was the part where Maureen talks about getting so invested in school that friends say “I barely see you anymore, you always in class now?” This line sticks out to me because before school shut down, I put my work over everything else and people would always ask why I was working instead of hanging out.

I have a question about your high school experience. You say that along with your education, you valued your it a lot more after your sophomore year, so how did you feel about not getting to have fun? Did you ever get stressed (if so how’d you deal with it?) or lose friends because of your strong work ethic?

• Maurine

I felt like a hard-working woman that’s only 17 and 18 years old with no fun just straight clinical, school, and work. I wasnt stressed I would be tired and just couldn’t wait till I graduate and become a certified dental assistant. I had a few friends in the program but the friends I hang out most were outside of the program. I didn’t lose any if I saw them it’ll be a little conversation then back to work.