philosophy

Philosophy affects the start and ending of all nursing activities.  Philosophy is defined as the study of general and fundamental principles of being, concerning matters such as knowledge, conduct, values, reasons and mind (Simmons, 1992).  Philosophy explains the reason why someone does what they do and how they do it.  Nursing and philosophy are co-related.  According to American nurses association 2014 nursing is the protection, promotion and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities and populations. In order for nurses to be able to perform this task we must all have a nursing philosophy and follow a theorist.  I love being a nurse this is the only profession that I know that looks at the whole picture of the various factors that affect a client’s health and not just the medical problem.  That focus is the reason why I choose nursing as my profession.  I have always wanted to be a nurse, from the time I stared playing with my dolls and putting bandages on their booboos.  The nursing profession is an invaluable part of healthcare delivery focusing on the caring for clients, families, and the communities, helping those regains, prevent, and maintain optimum health and quality of life.  My nursing philosophy is focus on patients mind, body and spirit of the patient and treating the whole person not just the body.  I believe in the holistic care of the patient and being a patient advocate.  As nurse’s we must constantly improve and maintain the health and wellness of our clients, families, and our community.  To be able to perform this task we need to provide competent high quality care. As nurses we need to be able to provide this quality care through critical thinking, assessment of the environment and prioritizing what is most important to patients and families.  As nurses it is important to respect patient’s views and their right to autonomy. 

Throughout the years nursing has focused heavily on the technical aspects of its practice and less on the affective.  Researchers like Jean Watson has noted the change and in response developed the theory of caring.  The theorist that best support my nursing philosophy is Jean Watson because her 10 carative factors of caring encapsulate the idea of the mind body soul engagement with each other (Polit & Beck, 2010). 

Regardless of patient’s differences in gender and culture, caring is recognizable when the top three carative factors of Jean Watson’s were exhibited and their immediate physical and emotional needs were met.  As a professional I believe that essence of a nurse lies in the ability to have love for oneself and the patient.  This type of love manifests itself in caring behaviors that Watson’s theory outlines.  Being true to one’s authentic self allows you to be true to others, while allowing the patient to heal within and physically.  If a nurse is not true to herself then she is unable to portray a trusting relationship with the patient.  Nursing is about understanding the whole human beings with compassion and open mind regardless of where and what the patient had done before.