Internships/Community Service

• Dental Hygiene Internship at New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.

I was humbled to be accepted as 1 out of 4 students to complete an internship at this hospital! Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 I was unable to participate. (Click on image to enlarge)

• Community Service Events:
    • GNYDM – Colgate Smiles
    • Public Health Outreach Presentation

GNYDM-Colgate Smiles

This was an event coordinated between NYCCT and Colgate in which we have stations set up to teach children about oral health. The stations range from OHI to Nutrition to sing-a-long! My group was part of the singing station! We worked together to write lyrics that are fun and educational for the children as well as simple dance moves that the kids could do with us! Below are some photos, and a video of our song! This event truly allowed us to see how much more responsive children are to props and fun when it comes to educating them. I used the same techniques learned at this event with my pediatric patients and had an incredible response.

Public Health Outreach Presentation

Please click here to view a PDF of the group presentation. “Nutrition” was the topic I contributed to the project. These are the Service Learning Field Project Guidelines. This is the link to the paper detailing what our plan was when presenting to high school students.

The topics we chose as a group were specifically to reach high school students. The high school students were all girls ages 15-16. Some have older siblings who are already in college and being that the high school students are ready to graduate soon, they will also be exposed to unhealthy habits. Our aim was to inform them:

-What a hygienist does

-How they should care for their teeth

-The importance of nutrition including its role in oral health,  eating disorders, and other systemic conditions related to nutrition and oral health.

-Risks of Vaping and its effect on oral health and the lungs.

We, as a group, felt that these would be the major issues going into a new environment where peer-pressure increases and the stress can lead to unhealthy choices.