Donato Zevallos: Observation on learning

Learning can be absorbed in many different ways. That being said i decided to make an observation my self to see which would be more effective in how my little cousin would obey me. Now before I explain my experiment, l’m going to add addtional information so that you can understand it a bit more. My little cousin is three years old, he misbehaves almost all the time and never listens to anyone, except for my grandfather. Everyone but my grandfather seems to handle my little cousin’s bad behavior the same, they would all give him whatever he wants so that he could behave or relax. sometimes they would  try to reason with him through words so that he could stop. My grandfather takes a different approach when it comes to discipling my little cousin. He would yell or hit my little  cousin with his belt enough so he can cry , but not cause excruciating pain, every time he does this my little cousin would obey anything my grandfather would say to him. So to begin my experiment i had to wait for my little cousin to misbehave again, when he did i went up to him and told him that ” if you stop i’ll let you play games on my phone”. This positive reinforcement worked temporary until he got bored, after which he started to misbehave again by cursing and throwing his toys around the room. This is where i then asked him nicely to stop, but he didn’t listen to me. I then yelled at him and told him i was going to get grandpa’s belt. When I  grabbed the belt and positioned myself as if i were to hit him, he immediately stopped, looking as if he was going to cry he repeatedly said “sorry” over and over again, from then on he had obeyed everything i had to say to him. This experiment taught me that positive reinforcement can work, but not as effectively as positive punishment, because it wasn’t until i showed him that i was going to hit him that he actual stopped completely and listened to what I had to say

Reference- Personal experiment

2 thoughts on “Donato Zevallos: Observation on learning

1. Interesting observation, and a nice touch to try different approaches. I wonder that you might have down at the end of the first round to get your cousin to behave as you wished without having to punish him? Why might you want to minimize punishment?

• I did, I wanted to see if my little cousin would of listen to me if i gave him something I thought he be interested in, but eventually he started to not listen and misbehave again. I should of tried to take away his toys first , before grabbing my grandpa’s belt. I would want to minimize the punishment because he is only three, and me grabbing the belt could show him that violence is okay, which I believe isn’t, which is also why i just positioned myself to look like i was going to hit him instead of actually hitting him, because i believe they both would have the same results . I hope this answered your questions