Gustavo Diaz’s observation on attention

A negative focus experience that I’ve had came this past April while watching the show Game of Thrones. I was focused on the goal of watching all 5 seasons before season 6 premiered. I had 50 episodes to watch (10 episode per season) in about two and a half weeks. while i accomplished my goal while rushing at times and focusing on the story line of the obvious main characters, there were things that my brain couldn’t catch on to. Until almost the end of season 5 i thought two completely different characters were the same person. Gendry and podrick are two different characters in Game of Thrones with obvious different names but for some strange reason it took me way too long to figure that out. Maybe i was focusing so much on the bigger characters that my brain didn’t care enough to separate this two smaller side characters or maybe i should of started the show with a open mind and not rushed through it.

Who: Personal experience

When: April 2016 while watching Game of thrones

Where: In my apartment watching on my phone

4 thoughts on “Gustavo Diaz’s observation on attention

1. This is an interesting observation and thanks for sharing it.

That said, unless you can add something to it, it doesn’t seem to be an example of so-called inattention blindness. You begin to think about how it is that you confounded the two characters and I would encourage you to think a bit more about that. There is almost surely something they share that caused your confusion, though of course it might be something from your personal experience.

2. This is an interesting observation and thanks for sharing it.

3. This is an interesting observation and thanks for sharing it.

4. This is an interesting observation and thanks for sharing it.