Professor Schoenbrun | COMD3313 OL74| FA21

Discussion 5_Kiana

Masashi Kishimoto, “Naruto”, Image from Google: Pinterest (Lau)

This illustration is from Japanese manga artist Masashi Kishimoto. I chose it because I grew up watching his anime “Naruto” which is my number 1 favorite anime. I often read the manga as well and I enjoy his artwork and the way he makes the art come to life. Kishimoto uses value to make his artwork appear real. In the image above, he uses hatching to create the shadows on both the Nine tailed Fox, also called Kurama, and the landscape to emphasis the setting; and the threat of Kurama. Since the scene takes place at night time, Kishimoto uses value to show where the shadows are located and how dark the landscape is. The background is black, Kurama being the foreground is white, the shadows and land being the middleground is gray.

I believe Masashi Kishimoto uses traditional mediums such as pencil, copic markers, micron pens and bristol board to create his illustrations. The compositional technique he used is movement because of the way Kurama’s left arm is drawn. The arm has a lot of hatching on it and the dust cloud on the ground emphasizes that Kurama slammed his hand on it. This gives the viewers a visual of the movement and the feeling of the impact. I consider it effective because it helps make his illustrations look real and gives viewers the feeling of the intensity within the art, making it appear lively and not dull.

1. Marnebruckner

I really like how this one expresses several different line work techniques to add value like I see a little bit of crosshatching and black to white value as well as horizontal lines on the mountains. Also the background being black to strike the eye and make us immediately look at the characters eyes, with the black design around the mask/headpiece is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

2. Marnebruckner