Student Name: Aizhan Akhmetova

Course and Section Number: ENG 1121, E106

Date: May 6, 2019

UNIT 3 WORKSHEET 2

I feel that it is important to open up further discussion and analysis of phlebotomy skills and training during the clinical period in school. “Phlebotomy is a process of puncturing the vein (also known as venipuncture) in order to get a blood sample for performing a medical test”. If we go way back to the blood draw history then, “bloodletting is an ancient medical practice, but its origins weren’t sound. Bloodletting is what it sounds like, it’s a withdrawal of blood. In ancient times, this was usually done with a knife”. Little did I know about healthcare in the U.S.A., which is one of the fast growing industries with secure jobs.

Such discussion would bring the following potential benefits, like how to deal with some level of your nervousness and anxiety while drawing blood. People tend to be scared of blood and I was one of them. Stepping into a healthcare field was a nerve racking. I remember my first time drawing blood from my classmate on our phlebotomy clinical rotation. Luckily, we had the best professor and instructor to learn from.  The idea of sticking someone with a sharp needle without causing pain gave me anxiety and my hands were little shaky. Yes, the needle went right into the vein and blood was flowing through to the tube. However, phlebotomy isn’t for everyone, it’s an excellent opportunity for those who can handle being around blood, needles and work with different people on a daily basis.

I’m so grateful that we are living in the XXI century with modern technology, specially in medicine. While phlebotomy is an entry-level job, it’s still a medical career. People who come to see phlebotomists can be nervous or scared, or uncomfortable. Hence, if someone commit to be a phlebotomist, they should get rid of those fears and bad experiences that they had.  Therefore, because of improper or lack of training sometimes people get hurt and injured and these are complications after the blood collection that I’m going to discuss:

1. Nerve damage: if a nerve has been punctured and patient starts feeling pain, numbness and shocking sensation for more than couple hours then this person should be evaluated by the pathologist or go to ER for nerve damage.
  2. Re-bleed: this complication may occur if patient has some liver disease, vascular disease, clotting disorder and in particular case patient will bleed a lot and blood might clott.
  3. Deep vein thrombosis: this complication can affect the large blood vessels and can travel to the lungs with leading a serious condition called pulmonary embolism.
  4. Vasovagal reaction: patients involuntary nervous system can cause the heart to slow down and this causes the blood vessels in the legs to dilate and person can lose consciousness and faint.

This awareness is important because people need to know how hands-on training and practice is important in taking steps into the phlebotomy. The more person practices, the more he/she gets comfortable drawing blood. In order to get better, we should take an advantage of having internet access and use it right way. Drawing blood can be rewarding and challenging all at the same time.

Work Cited

Salley, Jessica. “The Weird History of Phlebotomy.” The Weird History of Phlebotomy, info.nhanow.com/blog/the-weird-history-of-phlebotomy.

“Is Phlebotomy a Good Career Choice? – Phlebotomyexaminer.com.” Phlebotomy Examiner, 27 Sept. 2018, www.phlebotomyexaminer.com/phlebotomy-good-career-choice/.

“How To Draw Blood Like A Pro: Step-By-Step Guide.” Nurse.org, nurse.org/articles/how-nurses-professionally-draw-blood/.