Reading 2

• This article (though somewhat old) mentions Facebook posts as a kind of genre. Can you briefly describe how comfortable you feel composing a piece of writing in this genre?

I’m very comfortable composing a piece of writing on Facebook because social media is

something that’s everywhere, and if people don’t get on to it, they will be left behind and wont

know what is going on in the world.

• Do you feel more comfortable than someone much older than you — your Grandmother, for instance? Why do you think this older person might not write as well in Facebook as you do? What are some of the mistakes they might make? I feel more comfortable than someone older using Facebook because I’m more willing to understand it then they are. Not only Facebook but all social media has its own language that most older people don’t understand because they aren’t around it as much as younger people. Some mistakes an older person might make is to post a photo but will possibly tag a person that has nothing to do with it or it could be someone that they might not even know.
  • Dirk gives a few examples of titles in The Onion (a newspaper that was founded in 1988 at a college, btw). What was your favorite title?

My favorite title was “‘I Am Under 18’ Button Clicked for First Time In History Of Internet”.

• On page 258, Dirk describes the rules we carry around in our head before we start writing in a particular genre. What are some of the rules you carry around in your head? Is there a particular genre in which you struggle to write?

Some of the rules I carry in my head when writing a poem are, it must rhyme, and it must sound beautiful. I sometimes struggle with writing research papers because I might not always find enough information to finish or write the paper.