Riveters attaching a beam.

Although I enjoyed looking at and seeing what each photo meant, I liked Hine’s photos the most. I’ve always felt that there’s a lot of undercover work that goes into certain things in life. For example, how much practice, exercise, and work outs an athlete has to do to become the athlete they are. On the surface they make it look easy and given. In Hine’s photo “Riveters attaching a beam,” I feel that this photo shows just that. And that’s one thing that I love about photos, one photo can really have a thousand words. This photo shows four workers on a huge building, in New York City. Just from the other building in the photo, you can see that they are extremely high. And not only are they risking their lives on a building, they don’t even have any type of gear or anything to protect themselves. They only have on their normal clothes and hopes that nothing will go “wrong.” I for one would flip out because I’m afraid of falling, so I don’t know how they are able to work in these circumstances. Looking at them work, gives me the assumptions that they’re working this job because of their poverty. This photo also makes me appreciate the hard work that construction workers put in. And the photo also makes me think how many buildings in our beautiful city were built like this, and just how high these people were on these skyscrapers. I understand why Hine liked taking these kinds of photos. They’re very revealing and inspiring.

best,

Sali

2 Responses to Riveters attaching a beam.

1. Justin lopez says:

I found this post to be very good. Although I cannot see the photo near me now, the way you explained it gave me an image in my head. I could relate to how you feel because I’m afraid of falling too. I do agree on what you said that the job they’re working is because of their poverty. This photo if it wasn’t for the sweatshop photo would be my favorite as well. You did well explaining the photo and expressing how you feel. Do you think the men doing that job were scared when they first started? How many people died working on this building? Do you think that women were capable of doing this job back then due to how society portrayed them?