Here is my final culmination project powerpoint presentation
I presented on 5/4/2023 at 4:15 PM in room V321
Board Effect squares
Plus 1 square
For my culmination project I would like to develop a manual tabletop board game. More specifically a 2-player military chest styled board game. I have always had a talent for designing things out of other objects. This is because when I was little, I didn’t always have the toys that I wanted. So, I created them out of household objects and played with those instead. I’ve been designing board games since I was 10 years old for my friends and I to play with, so I would like to make a well-polished one now that I’m older.
My process would involve hand drawing the artwork personally, scanning it into the computer and reprinting it to create a prototype. I’ll be using gimp and or photoshop to produce this prototype. I’ll be using a combination of computer paper, staples, glue and cardboard to create the actual board. The military unit pieces (tanks, jets, soldiers) will be ordered from online.
After play testing it several times with several different audiences, I will fix any issues in terms of playability and enjoyability. After that I will submit my work to Hosni for his input and make any changes that he suggests from there. My goal is to create a fully functioning and fun board game that 2 people would actually WANT to play. I also want to have the accomplishment of being able to say I actually designed a game for my business portfolio.
I expect to develop a game that keeps people intrigued and requires that both players think 2 steps ahead of their opponent every turn (as in chess). Misplays will be punished but they wouldn’t be game changing in most cases if the losing player makes smart choices and out maneuvers their opponent for the next few turns.
In conclusion, the results would be determined by how well the game is received by a variety of different audiences once it is fully published and distributed. Either by me going out and doing that manually at events or through a game distributing company. Based on the audience feedback I will take what is said into consideration and run it by Hosni for more valid interpretations on what should be corrected. An experience Like this will help me hone my skills in terms of developing gaming content and just creative content in general for different audiences.
I am developing a 2 player, chess styled, turn based, tabletop, strategy board game that requires you to think two steps ahead of your opponent every turn. However, it is a little more complex than chess because it is military themed. It requires each player to use a variety of military units(plastic pieces) that have different abilities in a strategic way so that you can destroy your enemies’ units and preserve your own. The first person to lose all of their units loses. Additionally, if you outplay your opponent to the point where you are able to successfully “NUKE” them, you automatically win the game. The nuke is a mechanic within the game that essentially lets you 1 hit KO your opponent.
- First prototype – Hand drawn paper prototypes (No color)
- Playtest hand drawn version, edit out any bugs and capitalize on any feed back
- Run my project by Hosni before continuing for any additional information that may be helpful.
- Scan the drawings into the computer and produce a printed prototype (with color)
- I will use GIMP as my photo editing software from her on own
- Produce an instruction manual/page
- Continue play testing color protype with different audiences
- Capitalize off their feedback and run my project by Hosni
- Produce an official-colored version of the game using, cardboard, glue, paper, instruction manual, plastic pieces and a box with my hand drawn artwork for storing the game.
A fully developed board game complete with
- A box for storage
- Instruction manual/sheet
- 24 – 30 plastic military unit pieces for payers to use. Jets, Tanks, Helicopters, Military men (12 – 15 per player)
- Board game itself
- Dice and cards
- A working computer and a printer
- Several cartridges of ink – 10 colored/10 Black
- 1000 sheets of Computer paper (8.5 * 11)
- A notebook for taking notes during play testing
- A cell phone for recording playtesting
- Index cards for drawing cards
- Color pencils, markers, pens, erasers, scissors, glue, staples, stapler, cardboard
|Paper and Ink
|135.00(Unlimited Metro card)
|Develop game concept and idea
|Gather material and supplies
|Begin hand drawn prototypes
|Begin playtesting W/ audiences
|Improve my game based on feedback
|Run my game by Hosni
|Begin producing Secondar prototype
|Begin playtesting W/ audiences
|Meet with Hosni Again
|Develop instruction sheet
|develop final proto W/ all deliverables
|Present to students and Hosni
Proposal table of contents
- Culmination project agreement
- Methods and deliverables
- Gant Chart with table
Here are the instructions for my project
This the board prototype for my board game for my culmination project. Hand drawn and scanned into the computer