Welcome to the Oracle Database Administration Course home page. This is the open educational resource site for Oracle Database Administration. Here you will find lecture notes, videos, term project and homework assignments. Also you can download the current course syllabus. The weekly class schedule can be found here.
This course is absolutely for beginners. This is applicable for those who would want to learn Oracle Database 11g.
This course would be ideal for..
- Students who would like to jump into the world of Database Administration.
- Students who would like to learn about Database concepts
- Students who would like to get into Oracle Database Administration as soon as they finish their college.
This course is mainly based on lecture slides and video lectures. Students will develop an online airline reservation system as part of their term project. This backend system should have functional features similar to existing airline reservation systems such as Expedia, Kayak or Orbitz.
Students in this course will develop a fundamental understanding of the tasks and issues associated with database administration including: planning, building, tuning, troubleshooting, securing and monitoring databases. Students will learn how to manage users, privileges, and resources, implement basic backup and recovery procedures and identify tuning opportunities.
Upon successful completion of this course, the students will have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Understanding the problems and appropriate solutions involved in the role of database management and administration
- Installing, creating, configuring and maintaining an operational database
- Managing physical and logical database structures including users, objects and data
- Monitoring performance and identifying performance improvements
- Planning and implementing backup/recovery strategies
- Managing database security
Students must have successfully completed CST3604 with a grade of C or higher.
|WEEK||TOPIC||HOMEWORK AND ASSIGNMENTS DUE|
|1||Basic Oracle Database Administration||Read Slides, Download Oracle 11g|
|2||Oracle Storage and Settings||Read Slides, Assignment 1 due, Assignment 2 posted|
|3||Test 1 and Review|
|4||SQL Review||Read SQL Review, and Assignment 3 posted|
|5||Database Security||Read handouts on Security, Assignment 3 due, Assignment 4 posted|
|6||Database Backup||Read handouts on Backup, Assignment 4 due, Assignment 5 posted|
|7||Midterm and Review|
|8||PL/SQL introduction||Assignment 5 due|
|9||Basic PL/SQL Commands|
|10||Cursors (Implicit and Explicit)||Assignment 6 posted|
|12||Review and Test 2|
|13||Triggers (Statement and Row level)||Assignment 6 due|
|15||Review and Final Exam||Term project presentation|